• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Rescues Soapbox * warning upsetting pics *

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Those who work in animal rescue spend as much time dealing with people as we do animals.
It isn't all cuddling little creatures.
It is dealing with idiots who have bought 3 baby rabbits for their under 5's for Christmas and by Jan 2nd no longer wants them.
It is going to a Backyard breeder and trying not to either shout or cry when you see the conditions.
It is comforting an elderly lady who has become too ill to look after her much loved pet.
It is time and again having the same person contact you asking to adopt, spending hours on the phone and /or e mail with them, to see them pop up on the net with yet another pet-shop buy.
It is trying to talk the person who has too many rabbits and cannot cope, but cannot see this, to surrender some for their sake and the rabbits, but having to walk away when they won't see sense.

We do not go out of our way to upset or get at people, if we did we wouldn't last long in the rescue world.
We do have opinions which don't always agree with everyone else. These are normally with animal welfare in mind.
We ask those that disagree to at least read properly what we write and take a few minutes to think about it.

We also have our soapboxes and we do our best to stand on them.
Here's mine

soapbox_zpsa9ff94a1.jpg

I stand on it at often as I can..if I get off the lid comes open
and this spills out

soapboxa_zpsb10100e1.jpg

Last edited:
Totally no idea how you cope. Don't know your stats, but I know Rabbit Residence in Hertfordshire has 160 rabbits at the moment, and they are only meant to have 100. They have to turn everyone away now, it's heartbreaking.

I have to say, in all honesty I have maybe once or twice seen you perhaps be "less than tactful" but the vast majority of the time you are calm and articulate in putting forward the rescue view. And quite frankly I wouldn't blame you if you did lose it more often, but you know that wouldn't get you anywhere.

Totally no idea how you cope.
I have to say, in all honesty I have maybe once or twice seen you perhaps be "less than tactful" but the vast majority of the time you are calm and articulate in putting forward the rescue view. And quite frankly I wouldn't blame you if you did lose it more often, but you know that wouldn't get you anywhere.

thank you..sort of :lol::lol: and yes sometimes I post without thinking..we are all only human. Quite often that is on the non-bunny threads though as I do have "non-rescue hat" opinions on other things :D

thank you..sort of :lol::lol: and yes sometimes I post without thinking..we are all only human. Quite often that is on the non-bunny threads though as I do have "non-rescue hat" opinions on other things :D

Sorry :oops: but it would have been disingenuous to say "you are always calm and articulate", I wanted it to come across as an honest opinion rather than like I was sucking up! I wasn't criticising you for it at all - if I was you I would lose it more often!

Sorry :oops: but it would have been disingenuous to say "you are always calm and articulate", I wanted it to come across as an honest opinion rather than like I was sucking up! I wasn't criticising you for it at all - if I was you I would lose it more often!

don't worry I do know my faults and would much rather people were honest..as for "disingenuous" I will have to look it up :lol: xx

I will never be able to repay the huge debt of gratitude I have for all rescues. All my animal family have come via rescues. If the rescues had not helped them I don't know what would have happened though I'm certain some would have died.

Rupert says he doesn't know when you even have the time to get on your soapbox as when he livedwith you, twice, he thought you were busy looking after him and the other bunnies all the time. He's very grateful you helped him, I know Mrs C was too and Milly can't imagine a world without Rupert in it. Neither can I.:love: Thank you.

Oh my goodness. I can't believe what I see in those photos. Absolutely awful! I'd be in tears every day dealing with that! How can people do that! What is wrong with them!!!:evil:

I could not & would not do it. It's bad enough having to smile at the fools who tell me about the puppy they've bought to replace their 6 month old rabbit or the it-keeps-having-babies conversations I have to put up with in normal life. If I rescued, there'd be violence.

I think the whole situation is disingetrigrated

:shock::shock:people really get bunnies for kids that young and give them up a week later??:shock::shock::shock:

FFS if your kids are clamouring for a pet at that age, get them one of those 'fur real' type things. It's what they're for.

I don't know how you keep your calm...

xxx

:shock::shock:people really get bunnies for kids that young and give them up a week later??:shock::shock::shock:

FFS if your kids are clamouring for a pet at that age, get them one of those 'fur real' type things. It's what they're for.

I don't know how you keep your calm...

xxx

sadly yes..I had exactly that phone call this week :(

Those pictures :cry:

I hope you sometimes get good stories to balance out the bad.

Rupert is from Jill's. He was rehomed once but returned to Jill when the lady rabbit he was supposed to befriend attacked him and tore his ear. He then came to me which involved Jill doing part of the journey to me. I also had Mrs C several years ago from Jill.

Rupert is a very happy bun, devoted to Milly and all thanks to Jill.

I must just add that Jill has agreed to have Milly and Rupert if anything happened to me which means a lot to me.

So, I can testify to happy endings too.

Good on you :thumb:. Some people need plain talking to understand. I can sympathise with you as the animals have to come first and you have to put on a face to get the buns out of a bad situation, where if you lost it the bun could end up with an awful outlook for the rest of it`s short life. You go girl ;)

Just awful :(

Our Bertie is from honeybunnies and we adore him...he and my husband have an understanding :lol: whenever Bryan walks into the bedroom Bertie comes running over and stretches up the pen side for some man to man interaction! :love:

5 of our beautiful piggies are also from honeybunnies...Jill you all do fab fab work and there are so many of us that are in awe at what rescue workers deal with/face and the amount of animals they help save :thumb:

Wish I could do more!

I agree with everything jill says as only today I have been told I am a horrible person as I wouldn't take a rabbit (no space) as she got it 2 days ago

Back