• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seperating 2 male brothers

beth27

New Kit
Hi there, I wonder if you could offer some advice. My 2 4month old male buns (brothers) have started humping each other and tonight it turned rather aggressive. They have lived indoors for the last 3weeks and wanted to keep it as sutch but due to lack of space and unable to seperate them in any other way ,I've had to put one outdoors in a hutch. I feel awful doing.this. will I.be forgiven by the bun in the hutch?! I'm Hoping to get them castrated asap. Shall I swap who stays in the hutch?
I.appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks
Beth

Sorry to hear that your buns are fighting. It is probably hormonal behaviour and you should aim to neuter them as you've said.
Your bun that is now outside has probably not got a proper winter coat as they have been indoors for 3 weeks. Ideally he needs to stay in too or he must have some sort of safe heat source (e.g. a snugglesafe) particularly without another bun to snuggle up to. I'm not sure where you are but it is fairly mild here for tonight at least.

Hi RedFraggle
Thanks for getting back to me.
The bun (Lion-o) that's now outside does have quite long hair and it is pretty mild here in London (10 degrees) they didn't like the snugglesafe even when it was very cold.

If they can't get neutered for another month do you think they will still be able to be friends again? I dont want to have to split them up:cry :(
Now Lion-o hides in the hutch from me and thumps :(

Thanks
Beth

Hi Beth
A winter coat is about having thick fur close to the body so I would offer the snuggle safe if you can't bring him in, but luckily it is exceptionally mild at the moment.
After they've been neutered you should be able to bond them, read the threads on bonding to get help on this (I've never done it) and remember that you need to allow their hormones to settle down which takes up to 6 weeks.
How bad was the fight? Others will be better able to advise whether you should keep them completely separate in the meantime.
Good luck!

Hi

I will use the snuggle safe again tonight. It wasn't particually viscious- no one was hurt but they were charging at each other and being very hostile, in the past they've had little spats but they would always forget straight after but they were just continiosuly chasing and one inparticular was humping the other's face which understandably was upsetting to the humpee! I didnt want to leave them to be alone together as i've read they can end up seriously injuring each other.

Thanks again !
Beth

Back