• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbit doesn't spray - is this odd?

Emma H

Warren Scout
Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to help me! Last week I adopted a rabbit, we have named him Bailey :) They weren't entirely sure how old he is (they have guessed between 6-12 months) and they weren't sure exactly what breed he is (he is a lop, but they think he potentially may be a giant one).

He is a house rabbit and has the run of our conservatory and hops around the kitchen when we are in there (conservatory backs on to kitchen). He is the friendliest bun :) I have trained him to come when called, always comes to you to be petted and only goes to the toilet in his cage (I have tried a litter tray but he hasn't taken to it, but if he is just going in his cage then I don't really mind).

I have read a lot about rabbits 'spraying', and I think Bailey is of the age to 'spray' but he doesn't? Well, he hasn't yet anyway. Is this odd? If he isn't 'spraying' should I get him neutered? Would neutering make him unfriendly? i.e. would his behaviour change for the worse?

Look forward to some responses :)

Emma

welcome Emma.. I'm an inexperienced bunny owner but am quite sure one of our 'pros' will be along soon.....

pics would be appreciated

fee xxx

My Sebastian didn't ever spray :) he was however a giant pain in the rear end before being neutered :lol: he also never humped and only wee'd on my bed not carpets etc but I think that was more he didn't know how to hop down :)

I don't think it's odd that he hasn't sprayed - he may be a slow developer, he may do it when you're not there, he may just not be a sprayer. But neutering is not going to affect him in a negative way - he's likely to be more independent and 'grown up' afterwards, but he won't be unfriendly (unless that is just his personality anyway). It will also mean he can be litter trained.

Neutering is pretty much essential if you're planning to get him a friend at some point (which, by the way, is recommended :wave:).

Hello and welcome. :wave:

My rabbit didn't show any hormonal symptoms like spraying. I adopted him when he was about 7 months old, and didn't have him neutered until he was about 18 months old. It is generally said that neutered rabbits are more relaxed, including easier to handle, although I can't honestly say this has been true of my boy. The other good reason for having rabbits neutered is that it means they can have a friend. This is not quite so important if you have a very content house rabbit wo gets plenty of attention, but it is worth bearing in mind.

Hi.:wave: I have two male buns and I don't recall them spraying at all...but then I had them both neutered at the earliest opportunity! They do still poop and very rarely wee to mark new territory, but mostly "chin" things instead. I didn't notice any change in behaviour after neutering..All my buns,male and female have been just the same after neutering. Neutering means they can be bonded with a bunny friend ( or friends :lol:).

Hi, neither of my two male rabbits have ever sprayed. My friend has a male who also doesn't. :wave:

Hi Everyone :)

Thanks very much for your advice! Glad to know this is normal :)

Fee - how do you upload pictures from those saved on your computer? I have tried on this thread but it asks me for a URL?

Ah I didn't know that Giants develop slower - good to know :)

If it's likely that he isn't going to change then I would like to get him neutered, as it does have health benefits doesn't it. He does have a tendency to want to chew your clothes all the time when you put him on your knee - he rarely settles on you - do you think neutering could help this?

I was told as they didn't know anything about his past behaviour (he was just left outside the pet shop in a box :( ) I shouldn't get him a friend? He does get a lot of attention from us though?

xxxx

PS - Hope the video I've put on works below :)

[video=facebook;10151232701803789]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151232701803789&set=vb.506103788&type=2&theater[/video]

He's gorgeous :love:

You can go to Tinypic.com and upload photos, then copy and paste the IMG link into your post here. Others do it differently but I think that's the easiest as it doesn't require you to sign up.

Most bunnies are not much for 'settling'. They like to run around, investigating everything and anything, causing trouble, and they're a prey animal so don't really like to be picked up or held. They like affection on their terms, he'll let you know what's expected of you :lol:

That's why they more often than not need a friend - they want someone who speaks their language, who understands what they want and can give it to them 24/7, which is something you unfortunately can't. I think you received some poor advice from the pet shop, not knowing his history isn't a good reason to leave him as a single bun. There's no reason to suspect he would react badly to another rabbit - I had a very aggressive male and a very independent female, didn't think they'd ever find a friend, but they've been strongly bonded for over a year now. It's always worth trying, and especially when they're neutered/spayed there's a very high success rate.

Of course, he may be one of the few who is very human-orientated, and is perfectly content as a single bun. It's down to his personality - what do you think so far?

Awwww he is gorgeous!

He really is Lily!!

Hopefully the photos below will work now :)

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

He really is Lily!!

Hopefully the photos below will work now :)

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Unfortunately facebook doesn't really allow linking to photos on there, you'd be better off trying with Photobucket or imageshack or tinypic. ;)

As for your question, do you have any other rabbits around? I found mine, when unneutered, often sprayed in response to the smell of another rabbit. Smudge didn't spray at all in his cage when I first got him but when he came out for a run he'd then spray the other three (at the time). I never remember Mischa spraying much either, probably because he was my only rabbit at the time.

Ah - I'll try of tinypics - thank you!!

In terms of his personality - he is very human orientated, always follows me around and constantly runs up to people to be petted. He is also very cheeky - as soon as I open the fridge he is straight in there grabbing the broccoli.haha. If I am in the kitchen he will sit in there with me rather than being in the conservatory. He just doesn't settle very much when you pick him up cse he wants to try and eat your clothes. Generally I just sit on the floor with him and he comes up to you and lies next to you to be petted :)

No, no other rabbits around. That could perhaps be why.

xxx

Ah - I'll try of tinypics - thank you!!

In terms of his personality - he is very human orientated, always follows me around and constantly runs up to people to be petted. He is also very cheeky - as soon as I open the fridge he is straight in there grabbing the broccoli.haha. If I am in the kitchen he will sit in there with me rather than being in the conservatory. He just doesn't settle very much when you pick him up cse he wants to try and eat your clothes. Generally I just sit on the floor with him and he comes up to you and lies next to you to be petted :)

No, no other rabbits around. That could perhaps be why.

xxx

Most rabbits dislike being picked up. :) it's an instinctual reaction to what they interpret as being caught by prey. He's very cute :love:

Back