• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

people with tripod bunnies

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
when bunny had their leg amputated did they leave a stump or remove the whole ball joint?

While we have had a few tripod buns only one operation was actually done while bunny was in our care, which was Elwood. He had the whole ball removed but died of complications 6 months later.

So was just wondering what other peoples experienced are. Thanks x

Wilfred Pamplemouse has a stump (back leg amputation). Apparently one reason is to help protect the genital area as they aren't exposed - the stump makes them invisible. Wilf also uses it to support himself and puts his tail (huge frenchie tail) underneath to make it nice and comfy when he rests.

Wilfred Pamplemouse has a stump (back leg amputation). Apparently one reason is to help protect the genital area as they aren't exposed - the stump makes them invisible. Wilf also uses it to support himself and puts his tail (huge frenchie tail) underneath to make it nice and comfy when he rests.

This makes a lot of sense as that's where it all went wrong for Elwood. Shame this isn't an option for Hooter as he is around 3 kg the same weight Elwood was

My bunny lost his front leg. The whole thing was removed. You can just feel the end of what's left under the muscle when you pick him up, but there's nothing visible.

Oscar (cat) has had everything removed, but his hip joint was dislocated when he had his pre op (it wasn't before, we don't know why it was) :wave:

Florence had the whole thing removed (before she came to us).

I am wondering if there may be a male/female difference in how their genitals need to be protected from the ground? (even after castration)?? Though cant think why (tries to picture bunny genitalia in head without having to pick up a bunny and check:oops::oops:)

Florence had the whole thing removed (before she came to us).

I am wondering if there may be a male/female difference in how their genitals need to be protected from the ground? (even after castration)?? Though cant think why (tries to picture bunny genitalia in head without having to pick up a bunny and check:oops::oops:)

bunny gentials look the same to me :lol: apart from the little hole in the penis looking bit :oops:

Wispa had a tiny, tiny stump after a hind leg amputation. It was really weird watching her trying to scratch her ear and seeing this little lump flying round and round in circles. I also think it helped her remain stable when in an upright seated position and it kept her undercarriage slightly clear of the ground.

Wispa had a tiny, tiny stump after a hind leg amputation. It was really weird watching her trying to scratch her ear and seeing this little lump flying round and round in circles. I also think it helped her remain stable when in an upright seated position and it kept her undercarriage slightly clear of the ground.

I think this is also true - bit like a wedge keeping him 'square' to the ground. It also seems to act as a counterbalance with the weight on the other side, and the tail adds to it when he's moving around.

Mine has the tiniest stump ever, he also always tried to waggle his stump to scratch so we end up a scratching ear slave

Mine has the tiniest stump ever, he also always tried to waggle his stump to scratch so we end up a scratching ear slave

noodle hasnt got a visible stump but something wiggles when she tries to scratch so there must be something there. her ear gets so waxy it must feel awful :(

I don't know about bunnies, but my cat has the whole leg removed. Vet said if you leave a part it's worse because they try to stand on it and that's no good. But cats move differently of course, so I wouldn't now which is better for a bunny

Back