• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tear Duct flush tomorrow (Thurs)

toria

Warren Scout
Hello,
My 7 year old rabbit is having one of his tear ducts flushed tomorrow evening. The Vet said it will be done within the appointment time and without anesthetic.
I was just wondering how other people's rabbits who have had this done were afterwards? He is quite a timid rabbit and I have work the next day and worry about how he'll be. I think he'll probably be fine and that it is me worrying as I am rather squirmish about the whole thing and reading up about it makes me feel slightly unwell!
However, any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Hello
A bun I have recently rescued from a rescue (long story) had this done 15 days ago - it was the first time I have ever seen it done. Our vet gave her what I take to be anesthetic eye drops and gave her a few minutes for these to work as he examined her for any other issues. He then put a needle in the corner of the eyes (not the eyeball itself) and flushed through with whatever the solution was. The rabbit wasn't too bothered by all of this and the whole procedure only took minutes. The little bun didn't struggle or panic at all. The fluid was left to run onto the table and we could clearly see on the black rubber cover little tiny bits of white that had been flushed through. She was given eye drops and we went back today for a check up. There is an improvement in both eyes but we are going to continue with the eye drops / ointment for another 14 days. She has been very easy to medicate.

I can see you are in Bristol. I don't know which vet you are using but we use Jason at Wood Vets, Bristol Road Gloucester. An excellent rabbit savvy vet if you ever need one!

Good luck to you and your bun :wave:

Ruth

Back