• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snowflake...our little preloved hamster! Pic Heavy!!

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Here she is...

Showing off her loveheart patch of fur~
565907_10152394518000613_1590244425_n.jpg

Poking out of her little house~
566352_10152394906200613_1424712935_n.jpg

This bowl came with her..is it too deep??
710846_10152394915795613_1926773078_n.jpg

stuffing pounches~
728694_10152394920035613_843228296_o.jpg

Little sweetheart~
565882_10152394971785613_90584842_n.jpg

The cage she came with...I know its too small and we will upgrade it probably to the alaska~
566194_10152394954355613_316499444_n.jpg

565860_10152394936985613_1188394277_n.jpg

Also i know sawdust is bad for rabbits and piggies...is it the same with hamsters? the lady bought her in the cage freshly cleaned out so I have left her alone in it...there is an unopened pack of sawdust that was sent with her but I think I will move straight over to megazorb?

Last edited:
Aww, don't know much about hamsters but she is gorgeous! :love:

Do you use megazorb regurarly? Do you like it? Is it dusty? Sorry to bombard you with questions :oops: , I'm a first time pet owner and I'm thinking about switching my piggies over to megazorb if it's good.

I have tried other things to keep costs down but I dont think you can beat megazorb...at first I was shocked by the mess when cleaning out the piggies (they are in a hutch) but actually as I have done it more and more its not so bad and they look so soft and snuggly with a thick (ish) layer of that in their hutch then layered with hay :thumb: I have tried aboise/newspaper/cat litter and always come back to megazorb :thumb: Its ALL i use now for all the animals :)

She's lovely. I don't know anything about hamsters, but she does look as if she is struggling to get her food from the bowl. It's a very cute photo though. :love:

She's lovely.

I used megazorb for mine because yes shavings are not good.

It is often said that the best thing you can do for a Syrian is to ditch the food bowl - scatter/hide food so they have something to do.

Enjoy your new hamster, they live such short lives I hate to think that some lead such sad, boring lives, Snowflake is lucky to have found you.

I have tried other things to keep costs down but I dont think you can beat megazorb...at first I was shocked by the mess when cleaning out the piggies (they are in a hutch) but actually as I have done it more and more its not so bad and they look so soft and snuggly with a thick (ish) layer of that in their hutch then layered with hay :thumb: I have tried aboise/newspaper/cat litter and always come back to megazorb :thumb: Its ALL i use now for all the animals :)

Thanks, might see if my local shopping place has some in store as they did last time. :)

Forgot to add; atleast the lady bothered to clean her out before she came to you!

Gorgeous :love: ...I need another hamster!

Woodshavings aren't as bad for hams but I would change when you can, less dusty and can't get stuck in eyes :)

Ahh.. A mini duna. Suitable for dwarfs, no where near for syrians. It's a shame that they can be sold for such big hamsters! That wheel could do some damage but HC will be much better for advice on that :) I would be inclined to remove it as looking at the size of her it looks like it could be quite a back bend.

Bowl looks fine :) if you wanted to, larger bowls (rabbit/cat bowls) can be nice for them to dig around in :) my pair enjoy a bit of both. I half scatter, half bowl feed them :)

Last edited:
Gorgeous :love: ...I need another hamster!

Woodshavings aren't as bad for hams but I would change when you can, less dusty and can't get stuck in eyes :)

Ahh.. A mini duna. Suitable for dwarfs, no where near for syrians. It's a shame that they can be sold for such big hamsters! That wheel could do some damage but HC will be much better for advice on that :) I would be inclined to remove it as looking at the size of her it looks like it could be quite a back bend.

Bowl looks fine :) if you wanted to, larger bowls (rabbit/cat bowls) can be nice for them to dig around in :) my pair enjoy a bit of both. I half scatter, half bowl feed them :)

Yeah its priority to get sorted and we are going to get the alaska I think...we did look at the alexander and its fab but i think its a bit much really :( Need to recover from christmas (Jan is always horrid :roll: ) so will sort it out asap :)

Yeah its priority to get sorted and we are going to get the alaska I think...we did look at the alexander and its fab but i think its a bit much really :(

The Alexander and the detolf from ikea are my dream cages :love: :oops:

The Alaska is fab though, the weird cat house is a bit small but that can be removed :p a 12 inch flying saucer will fit in there and it's cheaper on Zooplus if you're having on of those :)

Gorgeous! I love syrian hamsters.

I had a Savic Ruffy cage for my hamster, which is the recommended size for a syrian, and I'd recommend it. Syrians also need a much bigger wheel than most cages come with.

Aw she's gorgeous! She looks like my 1st ever hamster, Mifty! I have started to scatter feed and don't use a bowl at all but if you want to use a bowl I think the one she has is fine. Iv just got the detolf from ikea and use various substrates. Here's the thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?371851-Santa-came-early-*UPDATE-MORE-PICS-P3*
It's big but if you've got space it's great and only £40 I think it's a bargain! I cleaned it for 1st time last night and, as I suspected he's been peeing in the digging area but thankfully only at the bottom so it wasn't as bad as I feared :lol: easy enough just to scoop out the dirty bits and just added a bit more hay etc. the sand I just sieved as he'd only pooed in there, and added a bit more fresh sand. The rest was all still clean, I just picked out any bits of peanut shells and things that I could see! So it should be quite easy and cheap to maintain :thumb:
Hope you enjoy your new friend :wave:

Meant to say aswell I have the karlie wonderland 12" wheel which fits perfectly in the detolf!

Back