• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In case anyone's been wondering about my darling Boris...

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Just thought I'd give you a bit of an update on how my snuffly boy is doing, since I haven't in a while. He has been very poorly lately and without access to a vet I've been extremely worried (basically none of the local ones are willing to treat him anymore, and I haven't been able to take him to Stockholm with me)

Overall, he's "ok". Some days are better, some days are worse. He hasn't been sneezing or coughing at all while I've been here (over 2 weeks now), which is a good thing as it could potentially mean that I'm dealing with the effects of the pasteurella infection rather than an actual relapse. His left eye is, occasionally, a little runny/sore-looking, but it certainly looks lot better than it did a month ago. His nasal passages appear to be quite swollen and as a result of that, he has occasionally been mouth breathing. Nebulising with steam seems to be helping, however.

What concerns me most is his weight...when I got here he had definitely gained, but right now he's very thin :( One bad day is enough to make him lose loads, and he's such a small bunny to begin with :( He does eat, just less than normal, and mostly hay. Pellets take him too long to chew when his nose is bunged up, he'll have one or two and then start gasping for air :cry: I don't really want him eating too many either when his breathing is that bad, because I'm terrified that he'll choke. But it gets a lot harder to maintain his weight without them. Been feeding him all sorts of junk to try & get his weight up (in moderation of course...don't want to upset his tummy!)....he really doesn't seem to mind, in fact he waits in anticipation for his daily fix of "unhealthy stuffs" :lol:

As far as treatment goes, I'm looking into giving him willow bark extract for pain relief etc. I've actually ordered some online, but I won't give it to him until I know for sure it's safe (as long as it just contains willow bark and water it should be fine, and could help him a lot. The leaves practically saved his life last summer.)

There really isn't much else I can do at this point, and I'm still very concerned :( Any spare vibes would be appreciated. It's such a difficult situation to be in for all of us. I really just want him to be healthy again :(

I'm sorry Boris is still poorly :( it must be so difficult not having a vet to help you :( sending mega vibes for your precious boy xxx

Would it be worth trying him with pro-fibre pellets if you can get them? It's good he eats his hay well. :thumb:

Thanks...we both appreciate it a lot. Just been giving him noserubs and treats :) He isn't very active this evening, but he seems pretty relaxed and content which is always lovely to see after a difficult day. It just kills me that I can't do more for him :(

Would it be worth trying him with pro-fibre pellets if you can get them? It's good he eats his hay well. :thumb:

I think one of the local shops has those...I'll check. If not I could always order some online and see how he gets on with those.

Are you at home for hols or has he come to stay with you?
I hope he gets better. I often think of you both.
(((((((((((((((((healing vibes)))))))))))))))))))))
I share your helplessness. There is only so much I can do for Mimzy to keep him well since his head tilt back in June. Most of my vets just want PTS but I promised him I wouldn't give up till he was ready.
He has his good days and bad. I think they always know we are doing our all for them. :)

So sorry to hear Boris is still struggling. Could you soften his pellets with warm water so he can eat them more easily? You'd need to experiment, but some buns will eat them as a kind of soup consistency....

Sending vibes....

I'm home for the holidays yes, unfortunately I haven't been able to take him with me because I don't dare. I really don't think he could cope with the journey :( I go back today, and leaving him behind always breaks my heart.

I could try to soften the pellets up a bit, but I think I tried that before at some point and he wouldn't touch them....he's less picky nowadays though, so it could work.

If you can mix a teaspoon of soaked porridge oats with them it might make them more palatable and will help with the weight gain. Small amount only though - they're not very good for buns, and they must be soaked thoroughly so they don't dehydrate him once he's eaten them....:?

Thanks for the tip, he does like oats but he's only ever had a few dry ones...back in Stockholm now :( but I'll pass this on to my mum. She likes to spoil him so I'm hoping she'll be able to help him gain weight.

Leaving him was so difficult :cry: basically spent the whole bus journey crying (was dark and I sat in the back, I don't think anyone noticed). Every time I leave I keep wondering if it'll be the last time I see him :cry:

Back