• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What on earth just happened??

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Went to let trio out of hutch; noticed that Hydrangea wasn't leaping around for breakfast like she normally does. Watched her - sitting on her own/not grazing/ She let me pick her up - REALLY bad sign. Could hear her breathing really loudly; saw she was mouthbreathing. Didn't want to use emergency vets - they're rubbish and have lost the last two rabbits I've taken there. :cry: Injected her with depocillin and put her straight into Mulberry's nebuliser - breathing seemed better after that but still not normal.

Quite a jerky quality to some of her breathing. Left her with some spring greens; came back; she hadn't really touched them but a pile of light/bright green jelly next to her. Wondered if she could have brought it up but rabbits don't do that I thought? Normal droppings a few minutes later and for rest of day.

To cut a long story short - after much monitoring etc - this afternoon she started behaving more normally. Just went to nebulise her and her breathing seems completely fine. Could she have choked? Will take her to my rabbit savvy vet in the morning but she's now eating/behaving completely normally. I'm totally baffled. Anyone have any ideas? :?

There are threads on choking on here but I have no idea if buns can spit things out themselves. Take the jelly stuff to the vet and they may have an idea what it is. What a worry. Hope everything isokay now.

Went to let trio out of hutch; noticed that Hydrangea wasn't leaping around for breakfast like she normally does. Watched her - sitting on her own/not grazing/ She let me pick her up - REALLY bad sign. Could hear her breathing really loudly; saw she was mouthbreathing. Didn't want to use emergency vets - they're rubbish and have lost the last two rabbits I've taken there. :cry: Injected her with depocillin and put her straight into Mulberry's nebuliser - breathing seemed better after that but still not normal.

Quite a jerky quality to some of her breathing. Left her with some spring greens; came back; she hadn't really touched them but a pile of light/bright green jelly next to her. Wondered if she could have brought it up but rabbits don't do that I thought? Normal droppings a few minutes later and for rest of day.

To cut a long story short - after much monitoring etc - this afternoon she started behaving more normally. Just went to nebulise her and her breathing seems completely fine. Could she have choked? Will take her to my rabbit savvy vet in the morning but she's now eating/behaving completely normally. I'm totally baffled. Anyone have any ideas? :?

Sounds like a choke to me :cry:

Thanks both.... I'm thinking you're right. Didn't save the green jelly :oops: but will look at the threads on choking. Luckily, treating her for a respiratory infection was probably the best thing I could have done, albeit for the wrong reasons....:? The nebuliser really seemed to calm her/help her breathing loads, and got some instant antibiotic into her lungs as well. I reckon we had a lucky escape... :?

This was Hal after one of his chokes. You can see the stuff that comes out

Rabbits010-Optimized-1.jpg

Rabbits009-Optimized-1.jpg

Ah, thank you. This was clear and a much lighter/brighter green - don't know what could have caused it, as she seemed unwell before she had the spring greens, so it's really odd... Her breathing now seems pretty much normal (although she gets stressed at being picked up). Earlier she was doings ome convulsive movements so I suspect was dislodging something then. I suspect it was Mulberry's nebuliser that saved the day....

Ah, thank you. This was clear and a much lighter/brighter green - don't know what could have caused it, as she seemed unwell before she had the spring greens, so it's really odd... Her breathing now seems pretty much normal (although she gets stressed at being picked up). Earlier she was doings ome convulsive movements so I suspect was dislodging something then. I suspect it was Mulberry's nebuliser that saved the day....

Hal choked on a pellet hence the colour xx

Hmm.. I don't know. She was 100% fine yesterday and seems fine again tonight, which is making me think it was choking. She's also a greedy little girl which seems to be a common factor with some of the choking buns on here. But I'll see what the vet thinks tomorrow. At least the depocillin/nebuliser combo seems to have done the trick, whatever it was/is....

Back