• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Composter

Dave81

Mama Doe
Right so 4 bunnies what size composter would you think I need? I'm a virgin composter :wave::roll:

The options are 400, 600 or 900 litres

Im not sure on literage but the one on my plot is about 2mx1mx1m and that was enough for four for about two years as I use one side one year and the other the next year. After 12 months the stuff at the bottom should be ready to use.

Google is telling me that works out about 2000 litres for two years worth so I'd go for 900.

It depends how you keep them too, indoor bunnies where it's mainly the tray don't generate as much as outdoor bunnies that often have beds full of hay/litter too. Also if you want space to add other garden waste too :)

Thanks all, in a fortnight I usually have around 4 - 5 bags of litter waste and hay :roll: The litter is Megazorb, I would end up putting other waste in too

Thanks all, in a fortnight I usually have around 4 - 5 bags of litter waste and hay :roll: The litter is Megazorb, I would end up putting other waste in too

Although megazorb does compost down it takes a lot longer so you might want to consider replacing it for newspaper if you're able to as that you can remove as you empty out the rest.

I'm just starting out with a wormery (Can-O-Worms from wigglywigglers.co.uk). I inherited it from a mate who has upgraded his. I am new to this too but there is loads of info on there. I think a lot of that advice can be transferred to other types of composting.

One thing I read was surface area rather than depth is important - although obviously this needs to be balanced with being realistic for what you want your garden to be given over to.

I have a composting bin too (apparently wormeries aren't ideal for shoving onion skins and citrus stuff in because it becomes too acidic for them). So all that gumf goes into the big composter along with the garden waste and recently the bunny poo/wee/pettex wood pellets.

I have also been looking at using the used pettex wood pellets with paper to make compressed logs for burning using something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Selections-Paper-Log-Maker/dp/B000MLS09K/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_27

Just don't know how much I would use it over the year.

I will keep looking back to see how you are getting on. I might start a post about wormeries too (cause I don't want to hijack your thread).

We've got two of the big size cylinder compost bins at our allotment (not sure of litre capacity sorry but the biggest of those "dalek" ones you can get), and with 6 bunnies (and kitchen leftovers) they both got full after a few months, but that said over time the stuff at the bottom mulches down so there becomes more room at the top again. They need stirring now and again dont they? We got ones with a cover at the bottom so that rodents can't get in to it, as I wouldnt want to hurt one when stirring it. But thats by the by. Basically get the biggest you can get is what I would recommend. Bunnies can poop for England! :lol:

PS We also stick in the hay, straw and megazorb but try to mix it with other 'greens' to get the mix of greens and browns right, so plenty of grass clippings, plant trimmings, any kitchen veg that the buns cant eat, etc.

Megazorb and hay take ages to decompose :?

Well its put it in the compost bin or clog up our council bins. This is why we add plenty of 'green' matter as I believe this helps the process, whereas I think if it is just 'browns' they take ages. Stirring helps to break it all down too.

Back