• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enlarged liver - EC, Hepatic Coccidiosis and something else? UD post 12

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Imogen has lost 400g (not 600g as I thought, she started as 1.68kg not 1.8kg) from the 8th until the 30th. The vet has taken bloods, told me that her liver is enlarged. She suggested that it could be EC (although the blood test wasn't included) coccidiosis, I'm assuming hepatic as she isn't show symptoms of diarrhea or maybe something else. I'm concerned about cancer although not sure what the symptoms would be, I was told she had been spayed when I adopted her but don't really trust the rescue to have actually done it/made sure it had been done.

What sort of treatment would these things need? What sort of prognosis would we be looking at?

Last edited:
There are so many possible causes of an enlarged liver and so I am not sure it will be helpful to start speculating until the blood tests are back.

What treatment options there are/what the prognosis may be would depend on what the bloods reveal and of the results of further diagnostics (ultrasound of liver, liver biopsy)

Is she a Dental Rabbit by any chance ?

Just trying to get myself read up on things just incase :wave: The vet looked at her teeth, she said they're slightly long but no redness or injury to the tounge/cheeks that she could see though I understand a conscious view of the teeth isn't 100% shes never needed a dental as far as I know :) eating/drinking/pooing is all fine too

I asked about her being a 'Dental Rabbit' as sometimes a Rabbit's liver will become enlarged when they are not eating much (due to dental issues) and losing weight rapidly. Do you actually watch her eat ? So you are certain she is eating as much as it may seem ? Could she be eating, but very slowly so your other Rabbit actually eats most of the food ?

yep I watch them eat to avoid choking, if anything she eats more than Sebastian. She's bigger so can push him out of the way :roll::lol:

I would guess an ultrasound would show if she was spayed and could check her liver too. Are you treating her for EC or coccidiosis or waiting for the test results first? Hope you get some answers xx

I think if the vet suggests any GA related things I will ask to see if she's spayed. Actually, can they do US's while the rabbit is conscious? :?

No treatment yet, vet has said if the liver results are abnormal she'll probably treat for EC as a precaution (although I'd imagine that depends on what kind of abnormal)

If the vet thinks it is EC or coccidiosis should I treat Sebastian as well? :wave:

I think if the vet suggests any GA related things I will ask to see if she's spayed. Actually, can they do US's while the rabbit is conscious? :?

No treatment yet, vet has said if the liver results are abnormal she'll probably treat for EC as a precaution (although I'd imagine that depends on what kind of abnormal)

If the vet thinks it is EC or coccidiosis should I treat Sebastian as well? :wave:

I would treat them both for either of those things.

My cat Salem had an ultrasound to check his heart while conscious, not sure about rabbits though. I guess the positioning would be awkward while conscious. It's worth asking though.

I thought as much but wanted to check that someone else might treat both :) I'll definatly ask when I speak to the vets (hopefully tomorrow or Thursday!) especially if she needs admitting for any other tests, may as well do it at the same time :)

good to know thankyou :thumb: if they won't do it conscious I'll ask for sedation rather than GA and see what they think

spoken to the vet :thumb: She said the bloods didn't show anything definitive but they want to treat for EC (have asked for treatment for both buns) which means for liver results were abnormal (we discussed this in the original consult as we didn't specifically test for EC) I'm being given treatment for 28 days, and been told I need to clean the shed really really well.

A few questions...

1- I use bleach to clean, and I remember others being advised of an EC cleaning schedule anyone know what I'm talking about?
2 - do I clean the run too? Its concrete/brick and pebbles
3 -if I get Imogen to maintain her weight on the current diet (large bowl full of pellets between them a day, 1/4 wheetabix each and some porridge) do I assume she's fine, or do I then try and reduce her food to a more normal level and hope that she maintains, but taking her back if she doesn't? I'm worried the amount of food might be masking another issue

Back