• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with playhouse door please?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I am picking up the playhouse this week and am reading up/planning how to convert it for the buns.

I need to add something to stop them running out whenever I go in, but also like the idea of an internal mesh door so that I can leave the solid door open in good weather (thanks to an old thread by the duchess!).

Any suggestions on how to do both? I am toying with the idea of making the solid door into a stable door but I'm not sure how easy that would be...?

Hi :)

I'm happy to take some pictures of close ups of the assorted internal doors I've made tomorrow when the daylight is back if that will help.

The way you make it and hang it will kind of depend on which side of the house the door is located and what if anything is going to be behind it.

I have done single panel doors and split ones and both work well.

Hi :)

I'm happy to take some pictures of close ups of the assorted internal doors I've made tomorrow when the daylight is back if that will help.

The way you make it and hang it will kind of depend on which side of the house the door is located and what if anything is going to be behind it.

I have done single panel doors and split ones and both work well.

Wow that would be fantastic if you get a spare minute, thanks!
Your converting a wendyhouse thread is soooo helpful, I wouldn't know where to start!
I'm a bit of a DIY novice, so have enlisted my OH to help, but we are not the best team when it comes to practical things so it helps if I know what I want to do :lol:

If you attach the solid wood door to the outside face of the playhouse so that it opens outwards you should also be able to fix the mesh door to the inside face of the playhouse so that it opens inwards without any problems.

I took a few photos today. Most of the wendy's are the same and have some added framing put on inside the door so that the original door can close as normal and the new mesh door fits snugly in the new frame. I usually hinge on the side that means the door lays flat against a wall to prevent wasting space. The tape on each door is velcro type tape for flyscreen.

MeshDoors013_zpsb8845434.jpg

MeshDoors012_zps0714a561.jpg

MeshDoors001_zps97399e5b.jpg

MeshDoors002_zps25eb8e40.jpg

This one I split the inside door to so I can open the top to feed etc without bunnies charging out

MeshDoors003_zps197be89e.jpg

MeshDoors004_zps9b28ec79.jpg

Just showing the extra framing added

MeshDoors005_zps7cd63947.jpg

Another split internal door on a shed this time

MeshDoors007_zps1c7e6d1e.jpg

The bolts for this one go into the cladding on the walls to close the doors as there wasn't enough room to have hasps/staples

MeshDoors008_zpsff0f29b9.jpg.html

And I made a stable type door out of the solid door here but cutting in half and then just adding some timber to tidy up the badly cut edges

MeshDoors010_zps8dbe1280.jpg

And then I just braced it on the inside and added a bolt to close the door top and bottom together

MeshDoors009_zpsb2108d61.jpg

Thank you that's really helpful! :D
OH collected the playhouse today, the walls are really good and sturdy but I'm concerned about how soggy the roof is... Need to remedy that before anything else!
I have a feeling this will be a BIG project...

Thank you that's really helpful! :D
OH collected the playhouse today, the walls are really good and sturdy but I'm concerned about how soggy the roof is... Need to remedy that before anything else!
I have a feeling this will be a BIG project...

Well, we'll look forward to updates :)

Back