• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur Mats On hocks

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hi All

Willow has been tearing about today and is filthy.:D

I have noticed though on both of her hocks have fur mats on them. I have tried to lift her but cant keep her still , even with a towel. They are horrible looking, probably worse too as she is filthy.

Suggestions appreciated!!!

Fee x

Hi All

Willow has been tearing about today and is filthy.:D

I have noticed though on both of her hocks have fur mats on them. I have tried to lift her but cant keep her still , even with a towel. They are horrible looking, probably worse too as she is filthy.

Suggestions appreciated!!!

Fee x

Hi, I'm also interested to hear advice coz my two have been out and about in the rain and mud for weeks now, they aren't bothered at all but I do worry what the constant damp does to their poor feet. They are outside buns with 24hour access so can do as they choose and the weather doesn't really seem to bother them.

My garden is awful at the moment - mine all have little housesor step stools they sit on which are covered with old hand towels - so after running round and flicking wet feet they can sit and dry them off on there - it definitely helps

Hmmm. I have tried with a towel and the matted bits are lumps of matted fur. I did try with a little brush but ciukdnt keep her still. Her claws are long too which are a hazard. Think i will need to ask for help to cut them!!!

Help!!!!!

Fee x

I'd give them time to sort it themselves, bunnies are usually good at feet cleaning. As long as they've somewhere warm/dry to rest it doesn't matter if their feet get soggy out exercising.

If they are dry and matted with dirt, and your bun hasn't cleaned them up then standing them in a bowl with half and inch of water and letting them soak then fluffing them out a bit with your fingers should be enough. The fur is quite short so it doesn't tend to knot so much as stick together.

Make sure you are dealing with mats though, the fur on their feet does tend to be more wirey and they wear it in a comb over so it's often not the smartest looking particularly when they are coming up for a moult so it's old.

Back