• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency measures

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Prompted by a recent thread where someone was unable to get home due to flooding and was worried about their rabbits I wondered what emergency measures people have in place for pet care?
Our opposite neighbours have a key to our house permanently and know which animals have what food and when. My "in case of emergency" details in my purse also state that pets need to be fed and where the keyholder is.
What do other people do?

Im at home all day everyday so its a bit different for me but my husband and my mum obviously have access to the house and stuck to the freezer in the conservatory is detailed instructions on all the pets (what/where/when/how much etc) :)

I've never thought to have a plan!

I can't think of anything that would take both of us out really - we don't spend that much time together.
Hmm I'll come back to this thread later for inspiration.

I live above work, and work with family. If something happened that meant neither of us could get home I'd just phone work and ask my dad or brother to feed them.
If they were at home, then I'd call my mum as she only lives a 2 minute walk away.

I've also never thought of having a plan :-/ our landlady is the one who comes in and feeds them if we're away, so I guess I could phone her, I'd nevr thought of having emergency details in my bag or anything though :-/

I'm at home 24/7 but Poppys shed is on decking and is raised so she would be safe against a flood (last time we were flooded her shed stayed dry), I always make sure she has plenty of hay in baskets so would have enough for 24 hours in emergency. If were were flooded and I was at home I would bring her in and she would sleep in my youngest's room, Ive got a stairgate etc upstairs and ready just in case. The chickens coop is really high off the ground so they would be safe too:love:

Having been flooded in 2007 I can say its the things you are least expecting that cause a problem. You cant flush your toilet as the drains are full, water comes through the plug holes and through the dishwasher etc as the drains have backed up. Plugs are live at water level (after the floods I had all my sockets raised to avoid this in future). As the water is coming in you have to unplug everything, save photos etc. I also wouldn't save furniture etc as if it isnt water damaged its not covered by insurance but a lot of the furniture we saved had to be replaced as it was ruined during the repairs. Basically save what is precious and leave the rest. Hindsight is a wonderful thing:D

mums best friend has a key for our house, her daughter has pet sat before for us so they should be ok. Other than that I have no idea!

I live with my parents and brother so we'd all know what to do with the pets in case of an emergency. Luckily I think flooding is probably impossible here due to the like hundreds of retention ponds around here and since we have our own retention pond in our backyard.

Just to clarify, the rabbits in the previous thread weren't at risk of flooding, but the owner couldn't get home due to a flooded road and had no-one to feed them so I wondered if others had keys with neighbours etc.

A neighbour has a key-he's very elderly and doesn't go far. Several neighbours have my mobile number.. My neighbour and other neighbours know how many animals I have and where they would be-buns upstairs etc. I have a list in the hall with vet details and where carriers are. I have lists with food and medication needs. What veggies, when need to be washed etc. States if meds can't be managed to take Milly and Rupert to our vets to care for them. Also details for Jill at Honeybunnies who has agreed to take Rupert (he came from her) and Milly if I got run over by a bus. Arrangements also made for my cats-Henry and Emily. I take this very seriously.

Just to clarify, the rabbits in the previous thread weren't at risk of flooding, but the owner couldn't get home due to a flooded road and had no-one to feed them so I wondered if others had keys with neighbours etc.

No, neighbours don't have keys. But it is unlikely that our area would ever be flooded and be impossible to get to.

Back