• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those of you that take rabbit waste to the tip...

megansmummy

Mama Doe
What catagory to you put it in?

I fill both my brown bins in 1 day :lol: they are emptied every fortnight! :roll: so im making regular trips to the tip and everytime i go they tell me to put it somehwere different (genenral waste, bulky waste etc) :? they never seem very impressed that im there :oops:

So where do you have to put it? I told them i fill my brown bins up with it at home but they wont let me put it in garden waste at the tip :?

I have emailed a domestic waste company to see how much a collection would be...I generally get two large black sacks per day of waste plus the two brown bins...

At the moment I just fill black sacks, stack them in the shed and take to the tip when I have enough to fill my boot...

My tip where I take mine have a skip for Animal Waste :)

I did put it in our garden waste bin to start of with but they put a Orange Sticker on my bin which is a warning so I rang them up an was them who told me to take it to the tip

I have two allotments and any rabbit waste is a great addition-with the chicken poo and certain other human waste products;) to the compost heap!
do you have any gardeners or allotments nearby? I read somewhere rabbit poo is great stuff.

Soiled hay and straw goes in the green skip which is used for plant cuttings, trees etc. The soiled newspaper goes in the landfill skip.

I have bin bags piled up in the yard, I refuse to pay extra for them to collect the excess bags. It used to be free before the council changed it a couple of months ago

Can I ask why you take it to a tip instead of the collected black bins, is there too much?

Yeah just too much :) I have three children so we fill our household bin with household waste...I have two brown garden waste bibs which I fill in one day and then I bag up the rest and take it to the tip. I have 8 rabbits and 8 guinea pigs. :)

It is indeed a nightmare and unfair I think! I asked the council for an extra bin and they asked how many in my household - I said 2 humans and 15 rabbits and they said no I have to take it to the tip - it's a bit of a trek now since ours moved - so I bought an extra bin online and use that and only make rare trips to the tip - I just hope no one from the council spots an extra one in our road. I pay my council tax and shouldn't be penalised for having rescue buns in my family, besides I don't use/need my green one so it's just the same number of collections!

I take mine to the tip because I used to put it in my garden waste bin and they put a Orange Sticker on my bin which over here is a warning so I rang them up and was told I couldn't put animal waste in any of the bins an have to take it to the tip and use the Animal Waste Skip as this is non recyclable so I've took it to the tip ever since

We can't even put garden waste into our green bin till march which is stupid I think :roll:

I pay my council tax and shouldn't be penalised for having rescue buns in my family, besides I don't use/need my green one so it's just the same number of collections!

Sorry, I disagree enormously! You pay your council tax to have normal levels of household waste taken away like every other household, though. If you were allowed to put loads extra out without paying more, actually it's everyone else's council tax paying for you to have 15 rabbits. It's not that you're being penalised for having 15 buns, by you using more than your fair share, everyone else is being penalised for your 15 buns. lifestyle choices like having multiple pets cost money, it's just a fact of life.
Not using the green one doesn't justify it - that's your perogative and two bins doesn't equal the same cost overall - they can make money from green bin waste because it can be sold for recycling.

Back on the original question, which bin it goes in at the tip will vary depending on area, as different areas use different composting techniques, so you can't compare what people do in different places. If the green waste is heat treated then the bunny waste is probably ok in it, but if it is mulched and composted without heat treating, then they won't allow it, as it could be spreading pathogens around - just imagine if soil improver being spread around on parks or your own garden turned out to have huge levels of cocci in it because bunny waste was being put in it.

Last edited:
Sorry, I disagree enormously! You pay your council tax to have normal levels of household waste taken away like every other household, though. If you were allowed to put loads extra out without paying more, actually it's everyone else's council tax paying for you to have 15 rabbits. It's not that you're being penalised for having 15 buns, by you using more than your fair share, everyone else is being penalised for your 15 buns. lifestyle choices like having multiple pets cost money, it's just a fact of life.
Not using the green one doesn't justify it - that's your perogative and two bins doesn't equal the same cost overall - they can make money from green bin waste because it can be sold for recycling.

Back on the original question, which bin it goes in at the tip will vary depending on area, as different areas use different composting techniques, so you can't compare what people do in different places. If the green waste is heat treated then the bunny waste is probably ok in it, but if it is mulched and composted without heat treating, then they won't allow it, as it could be spreading pathogens around - just imagine if soil improver being spread around on parks or your own garden turned out to have huge levels of cocci in it because bunny waste was being put in it.

Whoooaaaa! Not looking for an argument here! You're entitled to your opinion. Penalised was maybe the wrong word - more like discriminated against! We could get in to an argument about this if you wanted, like: if people cared more about their pets in the first place, then people like me and many others who have a kind heart, wouldn't have to give them a safe and loving home in the first place rather than see them abandoned, neglected, abused etc etc. I have only had rabbits for 3 years sice getting involved with RU actually and wouldn't have this many if others hadn't been so irresponsible. I am doing my bit for rabbit welfare for a period in my life and a few extra bin bags of hay shouldn't be an issue as opposed to the good I am doing for these poor rabbits. I have chosen to give myself the extra hard work and time involved in caring for these poor rabbits so that they can live happy and healthy lives - I pay for their hutches, covers, food, hay, vet bills and everything else that goes with caring for them - so I don't care about a few extra bin bags - I pay my way like everyone else!

It is indeed a nightmare and unfair I think! I asked the council for an extra bin and they asked how many in my household - I said 2 humans and 15 rabbits and they said no I have to take it to the tip - it's a bit of a trek now since ours moved - so I bought an extra bin online and use that and only make rare trips to the tip - I just hope no one from the council spots an extra one in our road. I pay my council tax and shouldn't be penalised for having rescue buns in my family, besides I don't use/need my green one so it's just the same number of collections!

I would love to be able to take our waste to the tip but we are not allowed. We also can't put it in the garden waste bin. The only way we can get rid of it is to give to some people who have an allotment, it is a complete nightmare given the amount we have

Last edited:
Thing that pees me off is someone with 4 children can have 2 bins in my area but 4 rabbits is a no.

My 4 rabbits only use 1.5 bins but the council aren't interested, oh well when I get rats they can deal with it all because I won't

its a problem. paying for removal is the best way for me, even though it hurts. the council want £25 per extra binbag (yeah, right. because i have that kind of money) but there's a waste firm in manchester that i'm hoping will do a run for me in january.

Might consider speaking to my MP to see if something can be done as it is discrimination - kids versus pets? If I have the time i'll chase it up

Rabbit waste composts really quickly so don't think 'oh i need masses of space' to compost it. Nearly every week I go up there and think I'm going to need to start using the other half the next week but the next week rolls around and its gone back down again.

Back