• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know this is a pointless thread...but

bunny-boo

Warren Scout
makes me so sad lately loads of people seem to be giving up their buns I am seeing alot of contis being given up just this last week...... could never think of parting with mine...and I am quite allergic to him too!! wonder if its just about cost and everyone feeling the pinch lately.//ill health etc..times are tough..

Last edited:
I know it's very sad :( but maybe they had a real reason for giving up their bunnies, I nearly had to give away my guinea-pigs last year and I was so upset about it but at the time it would have been better for them to have another home, fortunately I managed to sort some things out so I could keep them :) I'd hate to part with any of my pets, if someone said I had to give one up I honestly don't think I'd be able to choose which one I love them all too much :lol:

Sometimes it's about cost but a lot of the time it's about the novelty wearing off. Pure and simple, they get bored of the time and effort involved in the care they need.

yeh I know there are genuine reasons... just seems alot lately...to be fair most of them this week have been breeders who are giving them up not regular owners...just feel sad for the buns ... I know there are always genuine reasons too and owners are sad to part with them x

Last edited:
It IS sad! I have allergies to pet hair. Only if it touches my face. I get sniffles and itch. But oh well................ I'm NEVER I repeat NEVER getting rid of my pets!!! That is a FACT:thumb:

Peoples' circumstances change and perhaps they have no choice but to give up their beloved pets. On the other hand though, some people treat pets as something disposable and don't give a second thought to giving them up, letting them go free and other more upsetting things.:cry::cry:

So long as I am well enough and can afford to keep my furry family, I will.

My philosophy is "we're family - no one gets left behind" (if anyone has watched the cartoon Lilo and Stitch?) :love:

That said, some people really dont have a choice. Gosh i hope that never happens to me...

I work in a rescue and you do get the heartbreaking cases where an entire family is huddled together sobbing as their beloved pet is put into a pen :( there was one occasion when a rabbit we had rehomed had been bullying their bun despite a successful bond at the rescue and it got to the point where they needed to be separated, they brought the little guy back and as I took this little bunny out of the girls arms she just burst into tears :( I felt sooo guilty. Once their rabbit had recovered a bit we bonded her with another bun and its true love and so another bun got a home, but the family still visit and send food and treats for the original little guy.

So it does happen that letting their animals go is beyond their control, but sadly from what I have seen most the time we get handed a carrier and then they ask for the carrier back :( or look at you blankly when you ask them what the animal is called...

Personally I dont think I could do it, but if I knew that I could not provide what they needed and someone else could then I think I would make myself do it :( sometimes letting the animal go is the only way to be kind :(

I work in a rescue and you do get the heartbreaking cases where an entire family is huddled together sobbing as their beloved pet is put into a pen :( there was one occasion when a rabbit we had rehomed had been bullying their bun despite a successful bond at the rescue and it got to the point where they needed to be separated, they brought the little guy back and as I took this little bunny out of the girls arms she just burst into tears :( I felt sooo guilty. Once their rabbit had recovered a bit we bonded her with another bun and its true love and so another bun got a home, but the family still visit and send food and treats for the original little guy.

So it does happen that letting their animals go is beyond their control, but sadly from what I have seen most the time we get handed a carrier and then they ask for the carrier back :( or look at you blankly when you ask them what the animal is called...

Personally I dont think I could do it, but if I knew that I could not provide what they needed and someone else could then I think I would make myself do it :( sometimes letting the animal go is the only way to be kind :(
This.

Having said that, I feel like that's a small amount of people these days. It's mainly just loss of interest and not wanting to put the work in to solve problems :(

That is really sad :cry:
I work in cat rescue. We have heard every excuse going for ' getting rid.' I've only met a couple of people who were genuine for example moving abroad etc.

It IS sad! I have allergies to pet hair. Only if it touches my face. I get sniffles and itch. But oh well................ I'm NEVER I repeat NEVER getting rid of my pets!!! That is a FACT:thumb:

I'm really allergic too, i'm so bad with the hay I have to take hay fever meds daily and I can get quite ill for a few days with it every other month. I only touch the hay if its really needed and my hubby or daughter aren't in. The fur bothers me when they're moulting. Never never would I rehome my buns, it would have to be major.

I'm really allergic too, i'm so bad with the hay I have to take hay fever meds daily and I can get quite ill for a few days with it every other month. I only touch the hay if its really needed and my hubby or daughter aren't in. The fur bothers me when they're moulting. Never never would I rehome my buns, it would have to be major.

I'm getting a bit fed up with my hayfever when I clean the rabbits out. It doesn't affect me too much but I have a runny nose and eyes for the rest of the night, plus feeling bunged up and headachey, which is annoying. Do love the smell of hay though. Would never get rid of them, you just muddle through and find what works.

I USED to have hayfever. Since having the bunnies and also spending more time outside on my allotment when well enough it seems to have resolved itself. It used to be so bad I'd want to scratch my eyes/nose/ears out just going outside in summer but now I'm fine. Even when shaking out hay which sends up a lot of dust and tends to coat my glasses I'm still ok.

Honistly I have had stop looking at preloved etc and I cant bare it anymore! I had a FB page that I joined for local bunny lovers and one lady rehomed a british giant from a FB selling page and picked her up the sunday before christmas and on boxing day she gave birth to 10 (!!) babies...when she contacted the lady she bought her from she said she didnt know she was pregnant and it would have been her other bunny who was also a british giant :shock: that lady certainly got more than she bargained for by trying to help...now she has 10 baby giants that will all need new homes!

Honistly I have had stop looking at preloved etc and I cant bare it anymore! I had a FB page that I joined for local bunny lovers and one lady rehomed a british giant from a FB selling page and picked her up the sunday before christmas and on boxing day she gave birth to 10 (!!) babies...when she contacted the lady she bought her from she said she didnt know she was pregnant and it would have been her other bunny who was also a british giant :shock: that lady certainly got more than she bargained for by trying to help...now she has 10 baby giants that will all need new homes!

I had to leave all of those types of groups on Facebook. It was just heartbreaking, people selling rabbits and tiny hutches together for £30, advising each other to breed and make a few quid, people giving away dogs for free and anyone who questioned it got banned for being hostile ... ridiculous stuff.

I had to leave all of those types of groups on Facebook. It was just heartbreaking, people selling rabbits and tiny hutches together for £30, advising each other to breed and make a few quid, people giving away dogs for free and anyone who questioned it got banned for being hostile ... ridiculous stuff.

yep these groups have opened my eyes too... I am becoming very anti-breeder real fast....

Back