• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Imogen please - UD and Q post 50

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Shes very skinny :( I was cleaning them out earlier and noticed she looked slim, but just assumed it was because she was moulting. Shes a very fluffy rabbit so when she moults she looks really skinny to start off. But I picked her up for a cuddle and realised she was really skinny, weighed her and she has lost 600g since the 8th when we were last at the vets :(

Will have her teeth checked and probably ask for bloods to be done, anything else I should consider asking about when we go to the vet tomorrow?

Last edited:
Not a fan of automatically using Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) myself. It is not a drug without side effects and I would prefer to restrict it's use as I would an antibiotic. So personally I would not want to start Imogen on it until she has seen a Vet :)

I hope Imogen's Vet appointment goes well and I would probably weigh your Buns once or twice a week in future. I do this with mine as more often than not unexplained weight loss serves as a reliable early warning system of a potential health problem xx

I agree, I don't like to worm the rabbits unless really needed :) I know I really should weigh them more, but she really really hates it. I need some digital or baby scales that I can take outside to her rather than bringing her inside and putting her in a bowl :? I have recently reduced their pellets slowly as they were maintaining their weight but maybe she wasn't maintaining the weight aswell as I thought

I would ask for a full panel of bloods Georgey, including an EC test and getting kidneys, liver etc all tested at the same time.

Really hope Imogen will be ok. When Kenco started to lose a lot weight it was suggested to me to try adding a little amount of soaked oats to his pellets, I was also adding Protexin Profibre to help him gain weight, but I know that this may not be of use at short notice as you may have to order it in. And we had to feed him and Buttercup separately as she was eating too quickly for him. Would Readigrass or oat hay also help maybe as well?

Good luck at the vets tomorrow for her x

bloods I was going to ask for were EC, kidney and liver but a full blood screening probably isn't going to be much more! I have some horse treat things, little round things made from alfalfa I think? They're supposed to be good for weight gain, I've also got some alfalfa hay but the calcium content puts me off feeding lots of it! I'll have a look for some decent priced redigrass or oat hay, I have a feeling the yard I buy my bales from sells redigrass :)

Well, the vet had a look at her teeth and said they're a bit long but don't seem to be causing an issue. Her liver feels a little enlarged so I have left them both at the vets for blood tests and any treatment they may need. She's not testing for EC as the bloods are expensive but unreliable, if her liver tests come back abnormal she'll treat for EC anyway. She also mentioned Coccidia (sp?)

I'm already missing them :(

Has she got diarhhea as I think that's the most common sign of coccidiosis. When Doughnut was intially taken to the vets that's what they thought she had. I may be wrong though, just wanted to give you my thoughts and wish you lots of luck and vibes with Imogen.

Back