• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poo stuck to bum

ferretfreak4

Warren Scout
Not sure if this should be in the diet section or here

My boy Bracken is about 5 and a half years old, a lionhead x and has always had some health related problems such asweepy eyes and he cant jump properly and he has looked old for several years now but is still young at heart :)

Normally he lives outside with his 2 friends but we havent got round to re-building their shed since we moved so they are house buns till the weather gets warmer and since being in he has had a dirty bottom.

I bathed him yesturday morning so he was lovely and clean but as soon as he went toilet he was dirty again and had poo stuck to hus bum, i cleaned him off several times yesturday and when i woke up this morning he had a large lump stuck and i am about to bath his bottom again

This has bren going on a while now, i think its a mixture between his soft poo (which i have no idea what is causing it) and the fact that he cant really hop

Is there anything i can do for the poor aod as he cant be confortable with poo stuck to him and he hates being bathed

What does he have to eat regarding pellets etc does he have lots of hay , what did the vet say about his weeping eyes was it his teeth :wave:

Does he have any dental problems? Has he been getting any more treats since being indoors?

May be worth just feeding large amounts of hay and reducing his pellets for the time being as this will help his tummy. You could also try some dried leaves like raspberry leaves, dried plantain or coltsfoot, which are known to help with digestive function.

Foregot to mention that he has bad teeth, had to have one removed a while ago and he hasnt eaten much hay since nit that he doesnt try! I do tend to give him more bananas now though because he loves them and finds them easy to eat, i have to grate his carrot and i held a slice of apple earlier so he could actually eat it the poor sod! He also takes ages to eat his pellets presumably because of his teeth, i tried mushing them up for a while but he just got in a right mess and didnt eat half of it

Banana carrot and apple should really only be given sparingly now and again as it has loads a sugar in them all , if he won't eat mushed up pellets maybe you should let the vet check his teeth sounds like he may be in pain :)

Sounds like less sugar and more fibre is needed.

Cut out the banana and the carrot.

Maybe he could mange hay better if it is cut up? Fibreplex is useful. Critical care may be useful if he struggles with pellets.

A vet check would be a good idea to check his teeth etc.

I agree with the last two posters. Also try different types of hay as he may manage more easily with a softer type, or ironically a stalkier type. You could try Readigrass for him too. It is important to keep his fibre intake up and his sugar intake down.

I would definitely take him back to the vets to have his teeth looked at again and come up together with your vet with a long-term management plan for how to manage his sore teeth and his diet.

If you haven't cleaned his bum already, it will need doing.

Definitely cut out fruit and veg, as this can give some buns soft poos. If he won't touch hay, then try hay cookies, dried herbs, ready grass and fresh grass. My bun Pebs doesn't touch most hays, but will have the odd nibble at oat, wheat & barley hay from the hay experts, but it has taken me 2 years to get him to the stage ( I also had to increase his pellet consumption to keep his teeth worn down and prevent stasis). Both hay Experts and Hay for Pets do trial packs, so may be worth ordering a selection ( didn't work for my Pebs though :()

This might sound silly so correct me if it is but would it help to cut the hair around his bum really short ( if you can) just so poops can't stick to his hair whilst you sort his diet out?

Back