• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits outside or inside in London

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Basically George, our friend and I are heading up to London for Uni's etc.

We will be looking to find a home where I can have the pigs and buns, but if not I am hoping to arrange someone to foster them for me and I will pay for their food and everything

Anyway, if I do manage to find somewhere that allows pets would it be best to keep the buns indoors? I know how notorious urban foxes are up there as I see them when I visit my family there. The hutch has wire that would stand up against foxes, but the run wire is very thin and wouldn't stand a chance, which makes me worry

What do you think the best option for both landlord and the buns would be?

My sister had hers outside. The neighbour knocked on their door to say a fox had been throwing its self against the hutch repeatedly. Didn't get in as the neighbours scared it away which was lovely. She has now moved them into the conservatory so they're safe which she technically isn't allowed to do but she's claiming that still counts as outside.

I always wanted a big metal pen for outside. Like an outside bike storage. My sister had a friend whose parents built one or had one built in their garden and it was 100% secure against foxes. And then they had a shed which opened into it. I wouldn't know where to look to buy or build something like that but it was brilliant. It was made of that green covered mesh they sometimes make school fences out of.

thanks, I will ask to see if they can be kept inside, if not I might try to invest in a shed and aviary or something like that (student loans should help with that)
I have heard horror stories from my nan saying cats and dogs etc go missing as all the Indians and Chinese eat them or something :shock:

In the end I would rather they be safe and being kept by someone else then with me

thanks, I will ask to see if they can be kept inside, if not I might try to invest in a shed and aviary or something like that (student loans should help with that)
I have heard horror stories from my nan saying cats and dogs etc go missing as all the Indians and Chinese eat them or something :shock:

In the end I would rather they be safe and being kept by someone else then with me

Erm............ :shock: never heard that one before :lol:

Erm............ :shock: never heard that one before :lol:

Yeah when I was younger round my nans area it was well known they would steal/trap the animals (it is a very bad area, gypsy thugs and gangs etc). People stopped letting their cats out and stuff because of it.

Not sure if it still happens but still scares me

I have found people on spareroom.co.uk are more willing to consider animals than going through letting agents.

I currently lodge and I actually found the flat in the local paper. My landlady is moving in with her bf in Oxford soon though and I am going to rent the whole place. It can be hard to find but there are people out there who will welcome your buns (even let them take over the living room!)

There is a Chinese buffet in motherwell, called hup lee.
It was shut down for a while a few years back because the health inspector found cats and dogs in the freezers...
It reopened. o_O

We would probably go for a house share if we could. There are three of us and plenty of three bed house shares we could snap up together. That way all the bills are included and everything which is better for us student folk.
It is whether they will let rabbits and pigs in. We will ask around all kinds of places but if not I am hoping my fostering back up plan will work.

There is a Chinese buffet in motherwell, called hup lee.
It was shut down for a while a few years back because the health inspector found cats and dogs in the freezers...
It reopened. o_O

:shock:

I think the Chinese buffet in my town center was closed down because someone found one of those micro chips you use to ID cats and dogs in their food :shock:

You could make it sound to them that the buns would be kept in a pen/cage apart from when they get excercise, mention they are litter trained.
That would probably swing things in your favour.

:shock:

I think the Chinese buffet in my town center was closed down because someone found one of those micro chips you use to ID cats and dogs in their food :shock:

urgh. :( there's an Indian nearby and its commonly known that they shoot pigeons and use then to cook with, I don't understand people that still eat out of these places... Weird.

It's horrible to think about. I went there a few times and thought it was quite nice, not cheap or low end or anything.

Blugh :(

urgh. :( there's an Indian nearby and its commonly known that they shoot pigeons and use then to cook with, I don't understand people that still eat out of these places... Weird.

Stealing pets and eating them is of course wrong and horrifying...but I don't see eating wild pigeons as any different from eating chicken etc meat bought at the grocery store. Better quality of life for the pigeons at least. People just think certain meat would taste bad based on their prejudices, like pigeons and rats are "nasty pests" so obviously they couldn't taste good:lol: I'm vegetarian and think all meat tastes bad.

I am asian and feel very sad that there is the impression that indians and chinese trap pets and eat them:( obviously in some parts of china they still do that. But pls know that that's really a tiny tiny minority and the vast majority of us also think thats disgusting.

Perhaps if you rent directly from the landlord and not through an agency you will have a better chance of having your animals with you. My experience of renting has always been that individuals are much nicer and more understanding if you explain your situation and demonstrate that you are a responsible owner. Agencies wont give a damn about what you think. :roll:

I really wouldn't believe any of these ridiculous stories about Chinese and Indian resturants. Why would they use cats and dogs, they have their own suppliers for chicken and beef etc. Utter nonsense about cats and dogs. Urban myths, like Kentucky Fried Rat.

:thumb:

Also, London is a big place, it's not like it's possible to say that rabbits would be safe or unsafe outside in London as opposed to anywhere else - foxes are all over the UK. It's perfectly possible to create good, solid accommodation which would be pretty safe from foxes wherever you are; depending on location and accessibility (e.g. open side access, rear alleyway) I would be more concerned about people getting into the garden and harming the rabbits. I wouldn't say it's any more unsafe to have rabbits outdoors in London than anywhere else.

:thumb:

Also, London is a big place, it's not like it's possible to say that rabbits would be safe or unsafe outside in London as opposed to anywhere else - foxes are all over the UK. It's perfectly possible to create good, solid accommodation which would be pretty safe from foxes wherever you are; depending on location and accessibility (e.g. open side access, rear alleyway) I would be more concerned about people getting into the garden and harming the rabbits. I wouldn't say it's any more unsafe to have rabbits outdoors in London than anywhere else.

I agree with this. When we first moved to London many moons ago, we lived in a rented end of terrace flat with a small rear garden. But we kept our then pet's inside, with only supervised garden access, as across the road from us was a senior boys school.

Yeah when I was younger round my nans area it was well known they would steal/trap the animals (it is a very bad area, gypsy thugs and gangs etc). People stopped letting their cats out and stuff because of it.

Not sure if it still happens but still scares me

Do you also believe that all black people are in gangs, and that they all steal?

If you really believe that people of an Indian or Chinese heritage are like that, perhaps it would be better not to move to a multicultural city like London? Might be better off in the middle of nowhere in Wales or the south of England, where there are less of those scary foreigners.

:lol:

Seriously though, someone of Indian or Chinese nationality is no more likely to hurt your animals than someone of British nationality. After all, I like eating bacon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to steal someone's pig and slaughter it, does it? Yes, your garden is more likely to get broken into in London than in some village or small town, but that is due to the sheer amount of people in the city and the crime rate being higher, not a person's national heritage.

Also, gypsies are predominantly white. Sometimes Nans aren't the best people to take advice on when it comes to modern issues, as some of their views can be of their own time, as in this case. People were a lot less tolerant of different races back in her day, and obviously she has retained some of that thinking.

Back