• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Smudge's ears normal?

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Just got myself all worked up reading about head tilt :cry: I know Smudge has no actual head tilt, but one of her ears has been weird most of her life (both ears were fully lopped when young).

So I just wanted to know if other people have seen healthy rabbits with ears like hers?

photo6.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

She also does this with her ears so they aren't ALWAYS like the above pics:

photo4.jpg

photo8.jpg

And when she was a baby (her ears look too big for her :lol:):

24ux250.jpg

Yeah biscuits ears are like that :love:
Its just half lopped.
He's my helicopter bunny, and parsley is an aeroplane :)

Is it normal for a bun to have fully lopped ear as a baby and then while growing up one decides to unlop itself?

I just worry when her ear folds all the way over her head like that it looks like she has a tilted head :( But she is showing no other signs of ec really...

Her wayward ear reminds me of jack's-jane's Lady Lydia. I don't know if she was ever fully lopped but you could ask.

Ellie's ears are fully lopped, that doesn't stop her bunny antenna from making an appearance every now and again though! :lol:

Not wishing to create anxiety, but personally I would get a Vet to check her as to me it looks as though she does actually have a mild tilt to the left and the left side of her face appears slightly 'pulled up'. Both symptoms of middle ear issues

It may just be the camera angle and the fact that her facial markings are creating a false image. But I cannot say that I am 100% sure there is not a slight head tilt/facial palsy going on.

Not wishing to create anxiety, but personally I would get a Vet to check her as to me it looks as though she does actually have a mild tilt to the left and the left side of her face appears slightly 'pulled up'. Both symptoms of middle ear issues

It may just be the camera angle and the fact that her facial markings are creating a false image. But I cannot say that I am 100% sure there is not a slight head tilt/facial palsy going on.

The ear does pull her face (EDIT: should say fur not face really) up a bit if it's lopped the "wrong" way, but if she lops the ear (or you lop it for her) she looks more balanced.. would this still be a slight head tilt??

Last edited:
I've just been to look at her now and she is henned and has her "wonky" ear back but straight and her head looks symmetrical... so I don't know. It's only when the ear drifts to sit with her other ear that it pulls her fur up and she looks wonky.

Just to put your mind at ease I would ask my vet to check her over then you can stop worrying xx

I guess we could get her checked out when they next go... she has been like this for 2 years tho so I don't actually think she could have an infection with no other symptoms!

I am also a worrier and will actually worry about things that don't need worrying about :oops:

She actually lopped her ear earlier for a while, I think she has been reading the forum :lol:

Personally I dont think you have anything to worry about, her face looks normal when both her ears are lopped as you said. Especially if shes been like it for 2 years with no problems.

It wont do any harm to get her checked over though :wave:

You do get some bunnies that do that with their ears, I think it's just down to the muscles supporting the ears. They've got just enough control to sometimes get the ear upright but then gravity takes over and the ear flops the wrong way. The weight of the ear pulls the fur which gives the slightly odd look but you'd get that if you pulled a normal eared bunnies ears into that position (not recommend ;) ). I wouldn't worry if she's been like that since a baby, though it would definitely need checking out asap if anyone's reading this and their bunny suddenly starts it. Wouldn't hurt to ask the vet about it to put your mind at rest though.

Back