• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut blockage advice and vibes please

Jamie

Warren Scout
Hi,

My mums bun hamish has a blockage and I was wondering if there is anything we can do to try and loosen it for him?

He has been to the vets and had a gut stimulant and pain relief today.

He is pooing but very little.

We have been advised to syringe fluids into him as the vets feels the blockage feels looser and it may continue to soften it so it can pass.

He is still eating and Seems perky but not completely himself.

Any advice or vibes for the little man would be great. Xx

Hi,

My mums bun hamish has a blockage and I was wondering if there is anything we can do to try and loosen it for him?

He has been to the vets and had a gut stimulant and pain relief today.

He is pooing but very little.

We have been advised to syringe fluids into him as the vets feels the blockage feels looser and it may continue to soften it so it can pass.

He is still eating and Seems perky but not completely himself.

Any advice or vibes for the little man would be great. Xx

Hi, has he had any pain relief? That and fluids are important, and exercise can help get the gut moving too. The fact that he is eating is a good sign, as long as it keeps going through and he keeps pooing. He needs high fibre food - hay hay and hay :) Dandelions have been popular with mine in similar situations too, but obviously there aren't many of those around!

Vibes from me, Finx and Tango! :wave:

I hope that Hamish continues to make progress.

So long as he is eating, drinking, peeing and pooing he should hopefully back to normal in a few days.

Come on Hamish. xxxx

Fluids are most important and if he is not improving I would get your vet to admit him for intravenous fluids as they make a huge difference to recovery.

Add a dash of boiling water (to make it tepid) as buns tend to like it like this and also in a bowl as they can drink easier. Pain relief is also very important.

I would not try to force feed anything if it has been confirmed as a blockage.

Sending lots of vibes.

Does he have a definite blockage or is it stasis gut stimulants are contraindicated in actual blockages as it can cause problems if just stasis fluids will help loosen the food in the stomach and help it pass

Sending megavibes, we went through a blockage with Harley earlier this year (silly rabbit thought it was a great idea to eat a plastic bag!)

The most important things are to keep bun hydrated (either through syringing water every half hour or so o as a previous post has suggested offering tepid water in a bowl; all mine prefer their water in a bowl even when healthy!) and pain relief. Depending on how severe it is, IV fluids may be required but it is a good sign if he is eating/pooing; it means he doesn't fill full and it is coming out the other hand.

Hope he gets well soon!

Sending megavibes, we went through a blockage with Harley earlier this year (silly rabbit thought it was a great idea to eat a plastic bag!)

The most important things are to keep bun hydrated (either through syringing water every half hour or so o as a previous post has suggested offering tepid water in a bowl; all mine prefer their water in a bowl even when healthy!) and pain relief. Depending on how severe it is, IV fluids may be required but it is a good sign if he is eating/pooing; it means he doesn't fill full and it is coming out the other hand.

Hope he gets well soon!

He is getting fluid but only through is syringing it in and form the veg we are putting in water. He isn't drinking on his own.

He had pain relief at the vet yesterday morning. I am guessing this would have worn off by now? He is going back tomorrow morning.

He is pooing, they are still small and very hard. Is this the dehydrated poo that's causing the partial blockage, coming out?

X

Pain relief would have worn off by now. Can you get any more from the vet or did they send you home with any metacam?

If you get him to run round that can also help to get things moving but don't stress him out. Moving around and fluids can help. The fact he is pooing is good but you should count them and how often to see if it is increasing. If they are small it is normally because the gut has slowed down so this may be statis unless you vet confirmed it was definite blockage. Did they do any x-rays or did they say they could feel it?

Pain relief would have worn off by now. Can you get any more from the vet or did they send you home with any metacam?

If you get him to run round that can also help to get things moving but don't stress him out. Moving around and fluids can help. The fact he is pooing is good but you should count them and how often to see if it is increasing. If they are small it is normally because the gut has slowed down so this may be statis unless you vet confirmed it was definite blockage. Did they do any x-rays or did they say they could feel it?

We could get some from the emergency vet I guess, they didn't give us anything to take home. Should they have given us something?

He has had a little run and we have been getting fluids in. We will start taking notes of how many poos and how often.

The vet said they could feel the obstruction. Yesterday He said it felt squishier then on friday so the fluids were working.

Is it worthe getting a powdered form of papain or bromelain? x

You could try some fresh pineapple juice. I get a fresh pineapple, cut a slice and then squeeze it by hand (as not got a posh thing) and then syringe about 5-10ml. Do not use tinned etc as it is usually in syrup or has extra sugar added.

Some people use this as it is "believed", not proven to help break down hair. I do tend to give them some during a moult once a week.

You have to be careful not to give too much sugar though too. It is also thought to encourage appetite I think. The main thing is the fluids as they help to break up any "dried" foods and help things through. As I say, movement also helps. When mine get sluggish I get them to move around gently for 5-10 mins each hour and then let them rest.

Are you getting more / bigger poops as time is going on - this is a good sign if you are.

You could try some fresh pineapple juice. I get a fresh pineapple, cut a slice and then squeeze it by hand (as not got a posh thing) and then syringe about 5-10ml. Do not use tinned etc as it is usually in syrup or has extra sugar added.

Some people use this as it is "believed", not proven to help break down hair. I do tend to give them some during a moult once a week.

You have to be careful not to give too much sugar though too. It is also thought to encourage appetite I think. The main thing is the fluids as they help to break up any "dried" foods and help things through. As I say, movement also helps. When mine get sluggish I get them to move around gently for 5-10 mins each hour and then let them rest.

Are you getting more / bigger poops as time is going on - this is a good sign if you are.

We have given him some pineapple juice. We did what u do as we don't have a posh thing either!! Hee hee. The vet said 30ml over 24 heading but we haven't given them that much.

He is seeing quite a lot and we are making him move around.

Poo wise, there are some big ones coming out and some little ones. I think He has done more then He did yesterday.

As the blockage is broken down does it come out as these*hard poos or will it come out as a big mass?

X

Hopefully they will become more poops and bigger as things start passing through. If it is hair causing the slow down you may see "strings" of poop.

The fact that some is passing is positive. Keep up the good progress.

Hamish has been to the vets again this morning. The blockage is softer but hasn't moved. The vet said it could take weeks to move.

Been told to carry on with the fluids. His poos are still quiet small but seem better formed.

He was given a gut stimulant and pain relief again. The vet said the pain relief last 48 hrs, is this correct or should we be being sent home with something?

X

I have only known it last for 24 hours if it is metacam. Maybe someone with more expertise could advise. Could you post what Hamish has had and also how much.

Has your vet discussed admitting him for fluids, even if only for a day case to help re-hydrate him and send him home of a night.

Back