• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can I have some eating vibes for Smoo

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
She still hasn't eaten on her own since the operation yesterday apart from two tiny nibbles of banana. She's on a very high dose of painkiller and I just hope she's not still in pain. :(

She's hardly had any syringed food as she won't swallow it. Got to keep on going every couple of hours but I think I'll have to take her back to the vets. I really, really don't want to have to take her all the way to Norwich tomorrow as I think the journey stresses her out so much it would be counter productive so I need her to start eating on her own tonight.

Aww come on Smoo start eating lovely for yourself and also for your mummy whose worried sick :cry: sending loads a get nomming vibes over to you Smoo :love:

I hope she will start eating soon :cry:

What pain relief is she on ?

0.8ml of Metacam

I don't even want to start thinking about cleaning the wound if she's not eating. This is so not like her, nothing stops her eating, so I'm really worried.

0.8ml of Metacam

I don't even want to start thinking about cleaning the wound if she's not eating. This is so not like her, nothing stops her eating, so I'm really worried.

Could you call the Vet and ask if she could have a higher dose ?

How much does she weigh ?

Relatively recently many Rabbit Savvy Vets are prescribing MUCH higher doses than previously as Rabbits excrete meloxicam more rapidly than cats or dogs.

I have heard of doses as high as 0.6mg/kg TWICE a day being given. Only for a few days, then the dose is reduced to a maintenance one.

Is she having gut motility meds, especially Ranitidine (Zantac) ?

Could you call the Vet and ask if she could have a higher dose ?

How much does she weigh ?

Relatively recently many Rabbit Savvy Vets are prescribing MUCH higher doses than previously as Rabbits excrete meloxicam more rapidly than cats or dogs.

I have heard of doses as high as 0.6mg/kg TWICE a day being given. Only for a few days, then the dose is reduced to a maintenance one.

Is she having gut motility meds, especially Ranitidine (Zantac) ?

She's 4kg. :oops:

She's not had gut meds but that's what I'd take her back to the vets for.
I just don't know if she's in pain or if it's the after effects of the vetergesic. :? They said I can ring up any time so I'll be able to ask if I can up her dosage if I need to.

She's 4kg. :oops:

She's not had gut meds but that's what I'd take her back to the vets for.
I just don't know if she's in pain or if it's the after effects of the vetergesic. :? They said I can ring up any time so I'll be able to ask if I can up her dosage if I need to.

The sedating effects of Vetergesic should wear off after about 6 hours.

As she won't swallow the food until I let her go I'm going to syringe 3ml of food into her mouth every fifteen minutes for the next couple of hours.

Oh no poor Smoo :( sending mega vibes for her . My Digby is also 4kg, and when he injured himself the other week the vet put him on the dose for a 10kg dog, twice a day, if that's any help... Xxx

Lots of vibes for Smoo, hope you can avoid the stress of going back to the vets, feel better soon Smoo x

bunnymadhouse, I tried to reply but your PM box is full.

I was thinking of asking if I could just pick up some meds for her rather than dragging her for two hours on a bus there and then back. I wish some of the local vets were open, but they're not bunny savvy at all so maybe it's for the best.

She's getting very stressed with me feeding her but I have to go and do it again. :(

Back