• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i give my rabbit away?

FarnyBarny

New Kit
My rabbit is about 1 year old now, he is an albino rabbit. He grew bigger and longer now and you can see his genital growing too :lol:.

He loves cabbage and all sorts of leaf type vegetables but he hates carrots.

He is a smart rabbit, he made his own toilet on the corner of the cage by chewing off a small part of the cardboard on the corner of the cage and pee on the tray beneath the cage. He used to pee all over the cage when he was young and we had to change the cage cardboard 4-5 times a day. Now we only need to clean the tray once a day.

He also used to pee and sh*t all over the house whenever we let him out but now he only pee and sh*t whenever he is back in the cage :thumb:.

The problem is, he is always locked up in the cage cause me and my family hardly have any time for him. We only let him out for 10 minutes every morning to clean the cage and maybe longer period of time during the weekends. He is becoming a brave little bunny, venturing out further and further away from our house each time we let him out but he do know how to come home whenever a car passes by cause he got scared or when he got attacked by cats.

My parents suggest that we should give him away to a petting zoo. I think its a good idea cause now he can mate with other rabbits there and have more freedom, but at the same time i am worried that he cant blend in with the other rabbits cause he was always alone. Also, he wont be getting his favorite vegetables other than pallets which is his less preferred choice of food in the petting zoo.

So, i was wondering if i should give him away. There are pros and cons for giving him away and i think it is for the best that he finds a new home and maybe a family of his own. But i'm gonna miss him though :cry:

Where are you from? It sounds dangerous to let your rabbit out of the house by himself if you're not watching him. Have you thought about putting him in a hutch outside with a big run so that he can get more exercise without having to rely on you letting him out every day?

I agree that a hutch and run would be ideal for your rabbit. You would know he was safe, and runs can be covered so that the rabbit can enjoy exercise in wet weather.

I also have a single rabbit, but most rabbits prefer company. You or any future owner would need to have him neutered for this to work of course.

It sounds like you are quite fond of him, so I would look into the possibilities of making his life more enriching before deciding to rehome him.

A petting Zoo is not a good idea - rabbits are generally not so well cared for and not taken to the vets if they are ill or for their vaccinations etc.

'Giving him away' is also not a good option as a lot of people on sites like freecycle take free rabbits for snake food etc or to eat. Even though they say it will be for a pet. Or if its a friend they may get bored of him.

Do you have any rescues near to you that could take him and find him a lovely new home?

whereabouts are you?

I cant seem to find a hutch that is bigger than the size of the current rabbit cage. I did plan to fence up the exit ways to the road and leave him out in the garden.

But then again, he would still be lonely though. I can give the best solution for his well being but getting another rabbit is out of the question due to complicated reasons.

Do rabbit really need companionship or am i just feeling guilty that he is always alone?

I thought of giving him away to the petting zoo because maybe he could hang out with other rabbits there and find a mate to reproduce instead of being alone all the time.

I don't think reproducing will be the best idea, there are plenty of rabbits needing homes so any that a petting zoo don't want could be sold etc and the cycle continues. When rabbits have babies they can get pregnant straight after giving birth, this is fine for their wild cousins who's life expectancy is around 2 years old but it isn't needed in domestic rabbits. The petting zoo could end up with hundreds of babies and some may be inbred which can cause no end of problems. They don't find one mate either, he'd have babies with any unspayed female he could find, even his offspring.

I agree with parsnipbun and that a rescue would be a safer option for him if you can't keep him.

Back