• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you store your hay bales - tidily!?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
So, to those of you who use hay in bales, how do you store it without it getting everywhere! It's currently in a duvet cover in our garage but we end up with bits everywhere still every time we use it.

Has anyone any genius storage solutions?
Thanks!

I keep mine in the bunny shed so it doesn't really matter if it makes a mess BUT I do store it end-on so that I can easily lift a small wedge at a time.

I store mine in a large storage box in the garage, one of those things designed for garden cushions and bits. Fits just right.

I erm, aquired another dustbin, hay fits a treat, like it was made for it:lol: I try to stay a bale ahead so the other stays in its wrap in the garage

I pull it apart and split it into about 5 megazorb sacks. It makes a mess when you do it but once they are in the sacks it's pretty tidy and easy to manage.

I stack the bales in the shed and then dismantle one and fill up the big bags that come from h4p's :thumb: then I just haul a sack out when I fill up the trays! :D

I store then in pedal bin liners (the thin flimsy white liners - not black backs) and stab small holes in them for ventilation and then put them in the cupboard under the stairs. It's always hay-ey under there and smells lush! :lol: I get about 12 bags per bale.

I used to keep them in a cardboard box in the garage but it was too small. I was thinking of getting a cheap plastic bin and keeping it in that for easy moving around and stuff

we have ours in 85l plastic storage tubs from Wilkinsons, they have lids. We also have a 90l heavy duty dustbin! this is all in my kitchen so you can imagine thatm y buns are taking up approx 50% of it :lol:

Ooh excellent ideas! Thanks folks. You never disappoint!

I'll have a look into some of these ideas and see what we can try.

TY!

Back