• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice pls...rattly lungs - how fast improvement with Convenia? u/d things looking up

LainiT

Warren Scout
Wondering if anyone can help. I took Ellie to the vets on Christmas Eve (Monday) cos she'd been sneezing for a couple of days. He examined her and said her lungs were congested so gave her 2 injections, Convenia and Loxicom said it should sort her out.

Well the sneezing has stopped but she was breathing pretty noisily at times last night so we're back at the vets at 11 this morning. Should she be still noisy at this stage? I'm getting in a bit of a tizzy about it turning into pneumonia so need to know if I'm just paranoid or if we need different antibiotics...please help, thankyou. :(

Last edited:
I hope all goes well at the vet. Milly had a very nasty upper respiratory infection about a year ago and it took quite some time to recover. She actually had to stay at the vets for several days but I saw her each day. I was terrified by it. But she got through with nebuliser and lots off meds and fully recovered. Do let us know how you and Ellie get on.

Wondering if anyone can help. I took Ellie to the vets on Christmas Eve (Monday) cos she'd been sneezing for a couple of days. He examined her and said her lungs were congested so gave her 2 injections, Convenia and Loxicom said it should sort her out.

Well the sneezing has stopped but she was breathing pretty noisily at times last night so we're back at the vets at 11 this morning. Should she be still noisy at this stage? I'm getting in a bit of a tizzy about it turning into pneumonia so need to know if I'm just paranoid or if we need different antibiotics...please help, thankyou. :(

Oh, and if you put this in the health section I'm sure you'll get more replies. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and if you put this in the health section I'm sure you'll get more replies. Fingers crossed.

Hi thanks for replying, hope all goes well gulp. I was going to post in health but sometimes it takes a while to get replies there and we're off out in a bit so took a chance in here. Its scary eh, thanks for yr reassurance.

Convenia is a long acting antibiotic used in cats, it last for 2 weeks, although I would imagine due to the metabolism in rats, it may not last as long.
Metacam would last for less 24hrs in rats and acts as an anti-inflammatory, so it may be another Metacam injection is needed- either way it doesn't harm to call the vet for more info and advice.

Aww, poor little thing :( Have a look at this thread here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...d-in-circles-with-Convenia&highlight=convenia It does suggest that some of the top UK bunny savvy vets don't use convenia because although in cats and dogs it lasts for up to 14 days, it seems to be processed through small animals like rabbits so quickly that it doesn't have an effect...so it's possible that if you haven't seen the improvement yet, it might not be forthcoming with this particular antibiotic.

Personally I think I would be asking for a different antibiotic. Things like penicillins (injected) seem to work well against chest infections. I do hope your little one can be helped xx

Thanks both, I'll check out the thread, I'd read on here that convenia didn't seem to last the 10 days it was supposed to in bunnies, oh why are they so tricky to help sometimes??!:roll:

Bless her she seems bright enough, eating tons, drinking etc. A few uneaten poos around but not concerned about that as seems to be a regular thing with convenia.

Just back from vet...Ellie's lungs are sounding clear, vet is presuming the wheezy noises would be from her throat which is still a bit congested. She's had another shot of anti-inflammitory (loxicom) so hopefully should clear the last remaining bits up.

I told him I was concerned re the Convenia being reported to not last as long in rabbits as should do, he said that its not a conclusive study, it lasts 3 weeks in dogs so would be surprised if it lasted anything less than 5 days to a week in buns. Don't ya just love it when you're as clued up on stuff from here as the vet is!! So long as its done its job I'm happy :D

So fingers crossed we have a happy Ellie once again....erm, could it be contagious??

Back