• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet apps when working

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
Can't stand the worry of whether your team leader will let you leave work for an emergency vet appointment or not. you can't just go anyway cos they can use that to fire you :( there should be some compassion. you shouldn't have to worry about it

I know I think they should view it the same as a hospital emergency.
After all its a crime not to provide vet treatment, so surely they wouldn't be able to say no if it was an emergency?
If they tried to I think it'd be a good case against them being discriminating.

I've driven to the vets in my lunch break and left my bunnies/piggies there with a letter explaining their symptoms. And then driven back later in the evening. Not ideal but at least the pets have been seen by a vet the same day.

I had this worry when Harry had to be pts, I'd started a new job literally 2 weeks before and had the choice of going to Harry's appointment or being on time for a work meeting. The vet moved as much as possible to help but I knew I'd still be late.

All my worry was in vain, I decided to tell the truth, got there and my boss was lovely about it. Turns out he'd had rabbits when he was younger and understood- I'd never in a million years have expected him to react so well.

So perhaps just tell them the situation and see what happens- if nothing else they've got to respect the fact that you didn't phone in sick- good luck!

I said to a previous boss
"My pets are dependent upon me and I have a legal duty to seek appropriate medical care for them when they are sick. If it was a child I would be given time off but I appreciate this is different so whilst I will be leaving at 3 I will make the time up"
I think he felt he couldn't say no after that :D

I went in, went in comfort break to ring vets for blood results ended up on phone sorting it out for nearly an hour (stats are going to look truly awful this month for that) team leader went to see what was going on think someone had told her why i was in comfort break so long. She was nice said she understands pets are like family she is in a hard position because we're starting to get busy now. Initially i'd made app at 2 but she was like is there one later you can have so you are not having so much time off. I rang back and there was one at 4 (i don't think those 2 hours would have made a difference in this situation) i think if 2 was the only one they could do she would have let me go. I thought when i went back to phones there'd be calls queueing and that's why she wanted me to have it later but no service level was at almost 100% all day. i thought well you could really have let me go for 2 then couldn't you they could have done without me!! (i did end up crying when i was telling her what was wrong!)

Back