• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I clean out an open abscess wound? UD still not eating properly :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I've just got back from the vets with a very sleepy Smoo. She is dosed up on painkillers because her abscess was quite bad when they lanced it. The vet took a look in her mouth when I took her in and straight away spotted a tooth that was black and had stopped growing which we assumed was the tooth causing all the problems. She tried to take it out but some of it was left it so it is possible the abscess might still come back.

The wound has been cleaned and left open and I have to clean it every day and put honey in it. I'm going to be using cool boiled water and would ear buds be okay to use? Or is there something better?

She is still very, very sleepy. I really thought she had stopped breathing on the bus on the way home. :shock: I bought her a big warm fleece to wrap her up and keep her warm on the way back but she still feels a little cold. I've got the heater on in my room and she's just got up to have a drink of water and go and snuggle up with Grim in the rabbit cabinet which is good. She's only had one tiny nibble of some porridge so I just need to make sure she eats or I'll have to syringe feed her. I'd prefer for her to eat herself because then I know she's going to swallow it. She's really out of it so I'd worry about that if I had to syringe feed.

Just hoping she picks up soon and then tomorrow I have to have my first go at cleaning out an abscess wound. I'm pretty nervous! I hope it doesn't hurt too much and she doesn't wriggle. Any tips would be appreciated! :wave:

I'd use a 1ml syringe and squirt the water into the cavity rather than poking a cotton bud in as that may push pus/necrotic tissue further in

Aww glad she's home :love: sorry I can't help with cleaning the abscess do you have manuka honey that's really good for healing :love: I hope she gets better soon bless xx

The last abscess bunny I had was 20 years ago, but I remember using a syringe to flush out what I could. In those days vets didn't know much about bunnies, and honey wasn't heard of.

try to make sure everything is sterile.I am guessing you have been given antibiotics to take home..I recall having to give my bun antibiotics 3 times a day.

Hope she gets better quickly.

Thanks that sounds like a better idea. I might just ring and ask tomorrow as well. :thumb:

I have medical grade manuka honey from the vets. She's also on penicillin injections and lots of pain relief.

She still doesn't want to eat. I've syringed her a little bit of food but she refuses to swallow while I'm holding her so I have to let her go, she waddles into her cabinet and swallows the food. Then I have to pick her up again and do it all over again. :? I think she got about 3ml of food which isn't much at all.

It is VERY unlike Smoo not to eat. She's dragged herself across the floor while still under the influence of the general anaesthetic to eat. But this time she had a vetergesic. I just think she's too out of it to eat, but she has drunk twice on her own. I'm a little worried, I hope it wears off soon.

Sorry Jenova I have no advice I can offer but just wanted to send lots of vibes and snuggles for Smoo after her big operation today. I hope she starts to recover from the anaesthetic soon and starts to eat something. x

No advice but just wanted to send healing vibes for dear Smoo ((((((((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))))))

I have been shown how to clan out abscesses by 2 different vets. You can use either cotton buds or a 1ml syringe of dilute hibiscrub / warm water to flush out the cavity - whichever works best - as long as the thick gunk comes out. It really is like thick cream cheese so needs some gentle effort to remove it - it won't ooze out on it's own. Then use a fresh 1ml syringe to pack out the cavity - put enough honey in until it just oozes out so you know it is filled. Again, warm honey flows better. Just warm the filled syringe in your hand. You will soon get used to how much to use so less is wasted.

I had to clean out abscesses twice a day. Mine were also on long term depocillin injections and oral metacam daily. As long as they were OK being handled generally, mine didn't seem to be particularly bothered by the other invasive bits. If the abscess cleaning seems painful (even if metacam is given half an hour before), you can get some drops of local anaesthetic from the vet to put in the cavity.

Vet nurses are very helpful and will take you through the process a few times if you need it - or just for a break / to know that you are doing the right things.

The abscesses I dealt with took weeks or months to clear - but they did eventually. Syringe feeding is a must if she isn't eating for herself - don't leave it to chance if she really isn't eating properly.

Good luck.

How is Smoo this morning did she eat anything on her own last night/this morning sending loads a get well vibes :love::love:

I have been shown how to clan out abscesses by 2 different vets. You can use either cotton buds or a 1ml syringe of dilute hibiscrub / warm water to flush out the cavity - whichever works best - as long as the thick gunk comes out. It really is like thick cream cheese so needs some gentle effort to remove it - it won't ooze out on it's own. Then use a fresh 1ml syringe to pack out the cavity - put enough honey in until it just oozes out so you know it is filled. Again, warm honey flows better. Just warm the filled syringe in your hand. You will soon get used to how much to use so less is wasted.

I had to clean out abscesses twice a day. Mine were also on long term depocillin injections and oral metacam daily. As long as they were OK being handled generally, mine didn't seem to be particularly bothered by the other invasive bits. If the abscess cleaning seems painful (even if metacam is given half an hour before), you can get some drops of local anaesthetic from the vet to put in the cavity.

Vet nurses are very helpful and will take you through the process a few times if you need it - or just for a break / to know that you are doing the right things.

The abscesses I dealt with took weeks or months to clear - but they did eventually. Syringe feeding is a must if she isn't eating for herself - don't leave it to chance if she really isn't eating properly.

Good luck.

Thank you. Wonderful advice. :wave:

Smoo is brighter this morning. Food has been eaten but I don't know if it was by her or Grim. I syringe fed her last night and this morning but she is refusing to swallow the food while I have hold of her, so I have to let her go to swallow it then catch her again which is quite stressful for her. :(

I've phoned the vets and they said she still might be a little hung over from the vetergesic or just uncomfortable. If she's not eating by herself tonight then I've got to bring her in tomorrow which is what I would have done anyway. I'm just worried about the journey stressing her out even more. :? I've just bought a banana and I'm soaking some bread in water as some real incentives to eat, usually she can't resist either.

Back