• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

care of severly underweight bunny

silver jedi

Young Bun
Hi, ive taken in a 4 or 5 month old rabbit, only tempory until rescue space or loving home found but today at his vet check he was pronounced as severely underweight and with congenital ribcage and sternum deformity, he came to me with yellow feet and needs daily removal of droppings around his back end, quite fluffy but not angora style fluffy, the vet has given him a month to see if his weight is his previous care or deformity related but in the meantime i could do with some advice please on how short to clip his nether region hairs ( if i should) and what diet is appropriate, he is absolutely gorgeous and shy but loves a stroke and is a gem of a rabbit! Thankyou.

Last edited:
Do you know what food he was on before you got him? If you do, then continue with the same food but gradually move him onto a junior version of a good quality pellet food such as Science selective. Also give him a unlimited supply of hay and avoid vegetables until his poo has returned to normal.

I have never clipped a rabbit, so I would just wash his messy area with warm water and thoroughly dry him each time. I would also weigh him every few days (same time of day) and keep a record of his weight. I use a pre-weighed cardboard box carrier and weigh bunny+box on kitchen scales, then subtract weight of box. A rabbit's weight will fluctuate, so may take a couple of weeks to see any real difference (if any).

Good luck...he is a very lucky bunny to found you, and hopefully will improve with your care.

Don't be tempted to over feed him to fatten him up quickly, gradual weight gain is best. Some of what he's missing maybe muscle not fat and that takes longer to add. Feeding him a normal diet eg lots of hay and a few pellets should still allow him to put on weight but help with his poop issue.

As already suggested a junior version of pellets is usually slightly higher in protein which will help with the weight/muscle gain. Feeding alfalfa with the hay wouldn't hurt temporarily either - again it's slightly more fattening so usually only given to youngsters.

Build up his exercise gradually as again he'll need to rebuild his muscles before he runs laps!

Best of luck with this little bunny. It sounds like loads of tlc is needed.:thumb:

Sending healthy wishes to bunny. xxx

Thankyou for your advice, i think i will be going on a shopping trip tommorow as just got excell and average hay in, poor thing doesnt want to exercise much at all but seems mostly happy with his cage which is on the floor so he can come and go and must be like the hilton for him.X

Back