• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit nails

Alicia

Mama Doe
If a rabbit's run is on concrete and they have access to this run all the time, would this wear down the nails enough for them to not need clipping at all? Or would they still need clipping sometimes?

Probably depends on how rough the concrete was, if it's just a regular sized run under a hutch that's on concrete I wouldn't like to say they'll never need it doing but it might mean they need their nails done a lot less often

Thank you for the reply :) I feel bad I've never clipped the rabbits nails, they don't look too long at the moment now, but I don't know much about rabbits nails, I don't know at which point they'd need clipping I'm a bit nervous to do it :lol:

Our run is on concrete slabs and in our 4 years of rabbit ownership we've never had to cut their nails. :)

Thank you for the reply :) I feel bad I've never clipped the rabbits nails, they don't look too long at the moment now, but I don't know much about rabbits nails, I don't know at which point they'd need clipping I'm a bit nervous to do it :lol:

Try hold your rabbits paw (preferably one front and one back), if the claws go quite a bit past where the fur covering the nail ends, they probably need clipping. Or you put your hand flat under a paw and lift your hand up so they tense the muscles in that area (sometimes they don't tense unless you lift both front paws up this way), if the nails are really digging into you and are sticking out a lot, that's what the rabbit is putting weight on when it's hopping about and so you'll need to use your own judgement on weather they need clipping or not

Ask the vet to show you. They'll advise if they need doing. If they get too long they can catch on things and get pulled out. Black nails are much trickier and if the quick is caught they bleed furiously and it stings a lot. Best see if the vet thinks they need doing and learn from him/her. It doesn't,t cost much at the vets if you worry about holding them still or anything.

Back