• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Locust Bean Treats?

Cari

Warren Veteran
I've read online that they can cause intestinal blockages and kill rabbits but 'Santa' (Daddy) bought them some for Christmas and now I don't know if I should give them to the babies or not?

Anyone heard of them before? I must say I think they stink but apparently the buns will love them.

Yes, these treats can actually kill your bunny but if you check each one by opening it up and removinng the little seed inside they will be ok then. Not all of them will have the seed left in, but some still do! I have evidence - ie a little pot of seeds I extracted.

Oh no :( why on Earth do they still sell them then? I'll just have to chuck them I think. They're too small as they're all broken up, to start fiddling about trying to find seeds.

Not worth the bother really; some rabbit food includes them as well. Jolley's premium does and Queen Bee. Most manufacturers have stopped putting them in thankfully.

I looked into it but the only information I trusted was an old thread on RU, they sell them in wilkos, no idea why!

I didn't know these were bad for rabbits at all and I use to feed them years ago!!

I will stay clear for them from now on!!

The seeds are posionous (they look like apple pips) and for whatever reason they are rubbish at getting all the seeds out. I buy them for the rats but I pick through them all and take out any seeds and it's the same with rat food that has them in, you always have to go through it.

Back