• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly Rabbits and PAIN RELIEF- A Reminder :-)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Recently the old chestnut of *some* Vets failing to prescribe analgesia for a sick Rabbit has cropped up again, quite a few times :cry:

It really is essential that pain control is taken into account and if your Vet does not prescribe any I would strongly advise you to ask them for their reasons. The 'your Rabbit is not showing signs of pain' argument is not really the point given that prey species (ie Rabbits) do not readily exhibit signs of pain as that would make them even more vulnerable to predators. This applies to Pet Rabbits just as much as to their Wild relatives. A sure sign of pain in a Rabbit is a refusal to eat.

I know that it can be hard to think clearly when really anxious about an ill Rabbit. But please try to remember to ask about analgesia if you are not sure that it has been given, or if the Vet does not prescribe any for you to administer at home.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

Good thread Jane.

I have a spare unopened bottle. It is probably coming up to its use by date soon. Then again I don't need to worry with our vets.

:wave: Thank you for taking the time to post this article. How do you get a spare bottle of Metacam? Anyone?

Good thread Jane.

I have a spare unopened bottle. It is probably coming up to its use by date soon. Then again I don't need to worry with our vets.

:wave: So.. has your vet just given you a spare bottle, in case, or was it prescribed and not used? Wish I had a spare.

:wave: So.. has your vet just given you a spare bottle, in case, or was it prescribed and not used? Wish I had a spare.

Yes it was prescribed for one of my bunnies. He seemed unwell, wasn't eating. Was prescribed several medications from the emergency vets. When we returned home he was back to normal, so never opened it.

Thanks Jane...I do believe that being able to relieve an animal of pain greatly helps their recovery from illnesses and injuries...one less thing for them to cope with. Have to remember to get some in...and learn how to and when to use it.

I think maybe this thread is being misinterpreted :?

What I am trying to say is that on some occasions Vets are not giving/prescribing pain relief. I am not suggesting people should start giving medication without first consulting a Vet. It is the discretion of an individual Vet as to whether they are happy to permit a client to keep a supply of analgesia at home for use in 'an emergency'. Some Vets may not be happy to provide more than a prescribed course for the specific event they are dealing with.

My point is that some Vets are still failing to prescribe pain relief at all and it is our responsibility as Rabbit carers to make sure that there is a very valid reason not to do so.

Does that make sense :?

Jane- can painkillers be done by injection? I swear Harry had injections... but everyone else seems to have used Metacam...

Yes it was prescribed for one of my bunnies. He seemed unwell, wasn't eating. Was prescribed several medications from the emergency vets. When we returned home he was back to normal, so never opened it.

:lol::lol::lol: Little tyke!!! One of mine does this regularly every day, only eats on his terms. The vet got it wrong as well then. (or right?) He did prescribe something. Very important as already mentioned.

:lol::lol::lol: Little tyke!!! One of mine does this regularly every day, only eats on his terms. The vet got it wrong as well then. (or right?) He did prescribe something. Very important as already mentioned.

He was seriously ill in April and in the emergency vets over the Easter weekend. He does tend to have a delicate tummy and he only has plain food, very little veg, very very rare treat of a tiny bit of banana. We can't take the risk. Thankfully he has been fine for about 6 months but can go off food easily.

He was seriously ill in April and in the emergency vets over the Easter weekend. He does tend to have a delicate tummy and he only has plain food, very little veg, very very rare treat of a tiny bit of banana. We can't take the risk. Thankfully he has been fine for about 6 months but can go off food easily.

:wave: Would you give him metacam at home then if you thought he was developing a problem but wasn't quite sure? Just before you took him to the vets of course.

:wave: Would you give him metacam at home then if you thought he was developing a problem but wasn't quite sure? Just before you took him to the vets of course.

I would never give pain relief to a sick rabbit before a vet appointment in case it prevented the vet from giving other medication or high pain relief.

Jane is saying we should make sure that vets give our rabbits the appropriate pain relief and that if necessary we continue with it at home under vet supervision, not that we should be giving pain relief before veterinary advice is sought

Back