• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hoping for advice on digestive problems

bunnykin

Young Bun
Concerned about my little bun. He is 6 & a half and has a history of gut stasis and wind. Happening again last couple of days. One minute seemingly fine then for hours goes off food. It started the night before last he would not eat overnight and so yesterday (Boxing Day) I syringed Zantac, Infacol & Oxbow Critical Care. He brightened up well and seemed ok in himself though still had a poor appetite so I gave him all the syringed stuff again later. But then overnight he again became withdrawn and wouldn't eat at all again. Early this morning he was just settling down in the litter tray giving me the impression that he wanted the toilet but possibly was having difficulty going. I gave him more syringes and about half an hour later he seemed fine again all happy and cheeky - until he visited the tray when again he just settled down in there. I booked a vets appointment for this afternoon. I went out for a couple of hours this morning and when I got back he had pooped and one poop looked like a normal poop but longer (not stringed together with fur - though we've had some of those too) and I hoped this had been the one that had been causing him discomfort. He also had eaten some veg and I did him some more and this time he ate all of the veg I gave him quite eagerly. But I still took him to the vets.
I am less than impressed with my vets but in the absence of anything better it is at least the closest and open everyday. To be fair the vet we saw today had just been asked to scrub into an emergency operation so he was in a bit of a hurry. But we got our 'usual' - injections of metaclopramide and Zantac, subcutaneous fluids, tube of Fibreplex and a sachet of Supreme Science Recovery mix (they didn't have any Oxbow CC). He checked his stomach (no obstruction that he could feel) mouth & bottom.
So we got home about 2 hours ago. After he'd recovered from the trauma of the vets (and the syringe food I gave him as soon as we got home) he was all cheerful again, rushing about, eating hay, scuttling down tunnels and generally behaving normally (though giving me a wide berth). Then he got into the litter tray. He really looked like he was straining. He sort of raised his bottom as high as he could, as if his hind legs were on tiptoes. Nothing came out. He's since been back in a couple of times and still looks awkward (though not as alarmingly as that first time) but still nothing has emerged. He's cheerful when not in the tray (he's currently thinking about hopping onto the sofa) but very wary of me when he's in the tray to the point that if I look over he hops out (perhaps that's coincidence!).
Does anyone know whether this is likely to be a poop problem or could it maybe even be cystitis (he's never had that)? Are the injections and subQ fluids likely to help with whatever this is? Should I have a little patience and give these a chance to work and continue to monitor him overnight? After syringing stuff I do try to massage his tummy but don't really know if I'm doing it correctly - is stomach massage likely to be any help here?
He's also suddenly very keen on chewing his wooden tunnels, which is not usually of such interest to him.
He's such a precious little boy and I worry about him so much. I hope I don't need to take him to the vets again as he gets so distressed. I might leave him alone for a while in case that makes him feel better about going to the loo.
Does anyone have any suggestions. Sorry this post is so long.

So no pain relief ?

His symptoms sound more like a Urinary Tract problem than a gut one

Was this excluded as a possibility ?

So no pain relief ?

His symptoms sound more like a Urinary Tract problem than a gut one

Was this excluded as a possibility ?

Thank you for replying. I never thought to suggest urinary tract problem to the vet as I hadn't seen this standing up straining before. I have some vetergesic from a previous visit and I checked I could use that (I was given several separate doses in syringes for anal administration) but as I look at him now he looks fine and certainly not in pain. Do you think I should give it to him in case he's in pain when in the tray?

If it's a UT infection does he need antibiotics? Will anything he received today help?

Are you the same Jack's-Jane as is on Rabbit Rehome forum (was reading something on there earlier today from 2011).

Thank you for replying. I never thought to suggest urinary tract problem to the vet as I hadn't seen this standing up straining before. I have some vetergesic from a previous visit and I checked I could use that (I was given several separate doses in syringes for anal administration) but as I look at him now he looks fine and certainly not in pain. Do you think I should give it to him in case he's in pain when in the tray?

If it's a UT infection does he need antibiotics? Will anything he received today help?

Are you the same Jack's-Jane as is on Rabbit Rehome forum (was reading something on there earlier today from 2011).

Bit confused as this is the only Forum associated with Rabbit Rehome :?

I cant advise you re the administration of Vetergesic as it is a POM drug, a controlled one at that.

If he has a UTI then yes, abx would be needed. The possibility of bladder sludge/stones would also need to be considered. With UTIs an anti-inflammatory analgesic is preferable and Vetergesic is not in that category.

Ah me being dense. I think of this as rabbits united forum not rabbit rehome!
Is metacam anti inflammatory? Not that I have any but I do like to go to the vets armed with knowledge.
Stones and bladder sludge sound terribly serious. Do they require surgery? He had his teeth rasped in April and didn't cope well with the GA.

Ah me being dense. I think of this as rabbits united forum not rabbit rehome!
Is metacam anti inflammatory? Not that I have any but I do like to go to the vets armed with knowledge.
Stones and bladder sludge sound terribly serious. Do they require surgery? He had his teeth rasped in April and didn't cope well with the GA.

Yes, Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory

Here is some information about bladder sludge/stones

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

Back