• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vet and insurance

clea

New Kit
Hello,
Got my baby lop Bruce on Saturday and he is settling in well after a few nerves. Ive started thinking about getting him registered with a vet for his injections and to eventually have him neutered. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good rabbit vet in croydon? And also, could anyone reccomend a good insurance plan?

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks,
Catherine

I don't know a vet but would recommend PetPlan for the insurance, I think they provide the best coverage. Start the insurance as soon as possible because they can get ill young as well as old :?

All my buns are insured with PetPlan, and they really are very good. Lots of bunny insurers only cover bunny conditions for that particular year, and then when you come to renew your insurance will put exclusions on any conditions you have claimed on, which also means you can't then go anywhere else. As long as you stay insured with them, PetPlan do a 'For Life' cover which means you will only ever pay the one £50 excess, but they will continue to cover any meds/treatment needed for as long as you are insured with them, and not put exclusions on conditions when the insurance is due for renewal. PetPlan is one of the few insurance companies that vets will deal directly with as well, which is a really big help. Because my vet knows my buns are all insured, I only have to pay the £50 excess to them, and then when the treatment is complete, he puts in the claim and PetPlan pay him direct, usually within 5 days. Be careful, as a lot expect you to pay the bills first and then claim back, but when my bunny Roger became very ill, the total cost of his treatment over the months was over £1600, and it absolutely crippled me having to pay it all myself at every visit, and then took about 7 weeks to get it paid out.

I'm with pet plan too and would echo the need to get 'lifelong' cover as many conditions can be longterm. I pay £60 excess per condition per year though when they get older the excess increases. Ensure you get a vet to check teeth annually ur they'll do nothing for teeth otherwise. I've never been paid for regular molar dentals anyway. But in all the years I've had bunny insurance Pet plan have paid out more than I've paid in premiums.

Vaccinations are now once a year-a combined vaccine and neturing is vital too. Hope he continues to settle in well.

Hi Guys

After reading this thread ive just insured my sickness prone red rex with petplan.
Could someone explain the excess meaning pls,mine is £65.
Does this mean if i go to my vets and the cost is only £50 each time for each condition,do i have to pay this?,sorry if its a stupid question,just not clued up on insurance policies.
Thx all,great thread :thumb:.

Hi Guys

After reading this thread ive just insured my sickness prone red rex with petplan.
Does this mean if i go to my vets and the cost is only £50 each time for each condition,do i have to pay this?,sorry if its a stupid question,just not clued up on insurance policies.

Yes it does. My excess is £50 and I normally only bother to claim on my insurance if my bill is over £100. If your excess is £65, then it wouldn't really be worth putting in a claim for a bill of say £72, as you would only receive £7. I would imagine that for most minor conditions you will have to pay the bill yourself, as it is likely to be less than your excess, that is what I find. I don't mind that though as it was when Roger wasn't insured and he had his stroke, that the total cost for this condition was nearly £1600, and I had to increase my overdraft and everything because it happened at the end of October so quite close to Christmas, and I just found it so hard having to pay out all this money unexpectedly.

Yes it does. My excess is £50 and I normally only bother to claim on my insurance if my bill is over £100. If your excess is £65, then it wouldn't really be worth putting in a claim for a bill of say £72, as you would only receive £7. I would imagine that for most minor conditions you will have to pay the bill yourself, as it is likely to be less than your excess, that is what I find. I don't mind that though as it was when Roger wasn't insured and he had his stroke, that the total cost for this condition was nearly £1600, and I had to increase my overdraft and everything because it happened at the end of October so quite close to Christmas, and I just found it so hard having to pay out all this money unexpectedly.

Thx for the reply RogerRabbit999,i thought thats how it worked but like u say better to be insured incase, god forbid anything serious does occur :thumb:.

Do you have the For Life policy x. One of my bunnys has a allergy and touch wood not been for a while now but I pay my £65 excess for her which starts August -August then if I have to take her back anytime in between with the her allergy I don't have to pay anything else as this is covered for life :wave: if that makes sense I'm useless at explaining lol

Do you have the For Life policy x. One of my bunnys has a allergy and touch wood not been for a while now but I pay my £65 excess for her which starts August -August then if I have to take her back anytime in between with the her allergy I don't have to pay anything else as this is covered for life :wave: if that makes sense I'm useless at explaining lol

Yep its a covered for life policy,thx for your info Wendle,up until now ive not bothered with insurance but my house bun toffee is allways getting ill every winter so me getting pet insurance is a nobrainer :).

Hi Guys

Yes but if you go to the vets twice for the SAME condition in the SAME year and they both cost £50 then the excess only applies once, so the total bill would be £100, you would pay £50 excess and the insurance company would pay £50.

I didn't know that if your bun gets treated for the same condition twice in the same year you should only pay the one excess,is that right?

I didn't know that if your bun gets treated for the same condition twice in the same year you should only pay the one excess,is that right?
Correct

does this petplan cover include dental? thats the only reason so far for me not insuring them
PetPlan don't cover routine dental treatment such as burring or trimming however I believe they may cover other issues related to dentistry. It's not a blanket exclusion for all things teeth related.

Back