• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smoo's abscess has grown :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
She was booked in for a checkup and possible operation on the 2nd January but last night I stroked her cheek and the abscess seems to have grown even more. She's now on 0.8ml of Metacam a day but she still looks a little sorry for herself. So I've just rearranged her appointment for tomorrow. It's seeing a different vet I haven't seen before but they're all very good and clued up at the practice. I didn't really want her to have an operation over the holiday period in case of any complications but I just couldn't leave her almost a week, even on a high dose of medication.

It was probably the size of a pea the last time she went to the vets, now I would say it's the size of a sprout and you can start to see it through the fur. :(

Poor Smoo. :( I need to talk to the vets about the different options we have as it keeps coming back.

Thank you.

Last time the vet removed some of her jaw as well to get it all but it still came back. I'm wondering about either leaving the wound open to heal from the inside out or the antibiotic beads that can be put into the wound. I'll speak to the vet tomorrow.

Thank you.

Last time the vet removed some of her jaw as well to get it all but it still came back. I'm wondering about either leaving the wound open to heal from the inside out or the antibiotic beads that can be put into the wound. I'll speak to the vet tomorrow.

Maybe. Some people use manuka honey too. When Nancy bunny had her ear ripped off and operated on twice I used manuka honey to help it heal. It did heal but I don't know how much the honey helped.

Maybe. Some people use manuka honey too. When Nancy bunny had her ear ripped off and operated on twice I used manuka honey to help it heal. It did heal but I don't know how much the honey helped.

That's a good idea too. I'm going to have to make a list for tomorrow. It's annoying that the best place to buy the honey has closed down, I'd have to get it from Holland and Barrett now which is so expensive.

That's a good idea too. I'm going to have to make a list for tomorrow. It's annoying that the best place to buy the honey has closed down, I'd have to get it from Holland and Barrett now which is so expensive.

Its in Sainsburys as well but its about £12 for the 15% manuka honey. There are the cheaper ones with a lower percentage but I don't know if it would be less effective. Can't remember what percentage I used.

If the core of the infection is in a tooth root then unless the offending tooth is removed the abscess will keep coming back. Has she had skull radiographs taken ?

If the core of the infection is in a tooth root then unless the offending tooth is removed the abscess will keep coming back. Has she had skull radiographs taken ?

No she hasn't, I guess that might be suggested tomorrow. She had the abscess removed just over a year ago when it first showed up and it came back withing two months. :( Since then we've been managing it with penicillin injections and pain relief on and off when she needed it.

Its in Sainsburys as well but its about £12 for the 15% manuka honey. There are the cheaper ones with a lower percentage but I don't know if it would be less effective. Can't remember what percentage I used.

I get mine off amazon it's 25+ active I bought 2 jars which were like £32 , I bought these for my friends dog who got knocked down just before Xmas and was rushed to the willows in Birmingham as they thought her spine was broken, anyway after a week at Birmingham they let her come back to her normal vets but my friend wanted to look after her dog at home as she wouldn't eat and at this point wasn't walking :cry: I don't no if this honey has helped her or not but she's been giving her a teaspoon 3 times a day since she was home, and Xmas eve she brought her to my home and she walked into my kitchen I just grabbed hold of the dog and gave her the biggest hug , she's still having physio but the vet can't believe it :)

And here she is lying on the sofa with her scars bless her :love:

63ca9a1a9e8e6f795a28083894bdc7ca.jpg

I get mine off amazon it's 25+ active I bought 2 jars which were like £32 , I bought these for my friends dog who got knocked down just before Xmas and was rushed to the willows in Birmingham as they thought her spine was broken, anyway after a week at Birmingham they let her come back to her normal vets but my friend wanted to look after her dog at home as she wouldn't eat and at this point wasn't walking :cry: I don't no if this honey has helped her or not but she's been giving her a teaspoon 3 times a day since she was home, and Xmas eve she brought her to my home and she walked into my kitchen I just grabbed hold of the dog and gave her the biggest hug , she's still having physio but the vet can't believe it :)

And here she is lying on the sofa with her scars bless her :love:

63ca9a1a9e8e6f795a28083894bdc7ca.jpg

Awww hope she fully recovers soon, glad to hear she is walking now.

I found this on the Holland and Barrett site. Doctor Manuka. 20%. The Sainsburys honey is cheaper but weaker.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4205&cpid=4922#review

Tinkerbell had anti b beads left in her wound when she had her abscess removed.

Good luck xxx

I'm sorry to hear Smoo is having trouble with this again. :(
Healing vibes and prayers that all comes well again with the vet appointment. ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

Ah, just thought of something. I might have to bring her back on two buses in this weather after a GA. :?

Do you think with Grim's warmth and a fleece she should be okay?

Back