• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single Bun

bunkin

Warren Veteran
I rescued two buns over 2 years ago a neutered male and an uneutered female. The male was quarter of the size of the female and seemed very thin and dominated by the female.She was very greedy and we now know she was eating the bulk of food.
Nearly a year ago we had to have her put to sleep, the male bun who was always friendly and litter tray trained seemed to thrive after she had gone which we found very odd. He had doubled in size and has a beautiful coat and is even friendlier.

I put two soft toys in his hutch and he has two snuggle pads at night to keep him warm.

He is now over 7 yrs old.

I let him into one room of the house most days as he is so clean and can go back to his enclosure himself at any time but cannot have him inside as I have a bad allergy to animal fur:evil:

He seems happier than he was when they were a pair but I still feel guilty that he is on his own. I am disabled and struggle to do the physical side of looking after bun so I will not be getting any more buns and because of his age I don't feel I can get another bun to see if they will bond in case I get left with a young bun.

I know you are all going to tell me it is cruel to keep him on his own. He is very spoilt because I am trying to give him the best I can but anyone any advice for keeping a lone bun other than get another one!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you are doing very well by him. :thumb:

Would you consider taking on another older bun? Rescues quite often have middle-aged/older buns in.

Does his hutch have a run attached?

When you say you have in one room of the house, is the room heated? Just asking as if it gets very cold outside bunnies do not cope well with temperature change. Sorry if you already know this. When my Spenser lived ouside on his own we had him in our unheated conservatory for several hours most days, and he liked this.

Thanks susiebun. Bun has a snugglesafe heat pad during the day as well:oops: I bought two so he can have one to sit on during day then he has two in his hutch at night!
His cage is within a large enclosed walled yard and high hedges at the back of the house but very secluded and difficult to access due to high hedges and high walls. We also live in a small town and have never seen any other rabbits or foxes etc. I accept that this is not 100% secure but it means that he can run around in a very large area with lots of hidey holes and sheds that he can get under as he is a smallish rabbit.
He had been confined to a very small cage with his big other half for 4 years, hardly seeing daylight and never getting out ( they could only walk 4 paces each way:cry::cry: so seeing him running and jumping and kicking his legs and so happy is worth the tiny tiny risk something will get him.
The room he can go in if we leave the french windows open is our spare bedroom so all home comforts to him:roll: His latest game is to hide under the bed and poke his nose out at us so we can rub it! He goes in and out for about half an hour then stays outside.

:love: It is lovely that you rescued him from being in such a tiny cage, I think that he may benefit from having another bunny companion. It seems to me that perhaps his previous wife was a bit "too much" for him, she was unspayed and so may have quite aggressive and hormonal which can have an effect on their bond. If I were you I would contact a rescue and ask them if he can come on a bunny date! Let him choose a girl ;) and you will really see what it is like to have a bonded pair that are in love :)

Back