• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VERY sad news

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Unfortunately Christmas here at Rainbow Rabbits became a very upsetting time for us. I didn't post things as they happened as I didn't want to spoil anyone elses Christmas :(

Our beautiful Dave had not been quite right for a month or so, nothing major, just a bit slower, head slightly more tilted. He had a course of panacur and seemed brighter this past week, but Saturday teatime he started scanning. I went straight over to sit with him on the floor, he rested his head on my leg and fell unconscious :( We made a bed of cushions and blankets for him on the sofa and gave him lots of cuddles and head rubs but it became clear that he wasn't going to come back round and his heart was failing :cry: At 9pm on the 22nd Dave passed peacefully at the emergency vets without ever regaining consciousness :cry::cry:

As you all know Herman was Dave's very best friend, we have never seen a love for a bunny like it so of course we were very worried for him. Last week Herman had yet another dental and the vets commented that in reality he should not be alive. We agreed and said it was his infatuation with dave that kept him going through all his problems and it really was a miracle. we were so relieved on Sunday that herman was his usual self, cuddling up to Bobbi without his beloved Dave. But on Christmas eve morning we woke to find him huddled in a corner, refusing food. Something he has never done. We all wanted to give him a chance despite his age and over all health, hoping it was just grief and we could pull him through. He was given all the usual meds, I spent the day making a fuss of him and he took some baby food well, even jumping from the sofa when he had enough. But early evening he took a real turn for the worst, his breathing became rapid, I picked him up and he cried out in pain and collapsed on my lap. Another trip to the emergency vet and Herman passed to the bridge exactly 48 hours to the minute after Dave. Herman's face had started to swell near his eye from a dental abscess ( a true miracle that this had never happened before) and the vet believed his cancer had spread in his abdomen :cry::cry:

So with in 48 hours both our special boys left us :cry: we still have the two girls in the lounge but it is a very empty house now and we spent most of yesterday afternoon in tears as feeding time was so difficult and the lounge is just bleak :cry:

If that wasn't enough late Christmas eve afternoon Lacey had one of her neurological episodes and also stopped eating. It got so bad we really didn't know if she would pull through this time. Christmas eve was taken up with syringe feeding one rabbit after another, going from lacey to herman to hermione :cry: Lacey was syringe fed all thought Christmas day, at one point she wasn't even swallowing and wasn't aware of anything going on around her :( But finally today she is eating some veg on her own and has periods of being lucid although she is still a long way from being herself, so at least we are hopeful we are heading in the right direction.

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who loved Dave. He was a bunny in a million, everyone and every bun who met him fell in love with him instantly as did many who never met him. Thank you to everyone who sponsored him and bought them both Christmas presents, we are incredibly grateful. While our hearts are breaking and may never heal completely, we also feel very privileged to have been part of one the greatest bunny love stories ever :love:

P4131617.jpg

P1020220.jpg

P5020017.jpg

Oh such sad news. :cry::cry:

Rest in peace Dave and Herman. They are out of pain now. Bless their hearts. xx

Sending get better wishes to dear Lacey. xxxx

Take care at such a sad time. xxx

Awww what a tragedy.... hugs to you and binky free little pals.......

Fee xxx

I am so so sorry for your loses...what an awful Christmas for you. The hurt and pain when an animal passes over is so intense, especially after all the love and care you gave them. At least they are together in peace now...and I do believe you will see them again one day.
In the mean time you will always carry their spirit and love in your heart and will have beautiful memories of your babies. As the saying goes - tis better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all.

Lots if vibes for Lacey...hope she pulls through thus episode.

Awww I am so so sorry what a heartbreaking time you have had sleep tight Dave n Herman you were so much loved by everyone specially ur mummy Binky Free :cry::cry:

i'm so sorry. Completely gutted and in tears for you all.

They were such special bunnies....I still have all of Daves valentines cards :love:

Oh Liz and Steve, I'm so very sorry to hear this incredibly sad news :( Your lounge must feel so empty without the beautiful Dave and Herman. They are reunited now with healthy bodies, and I'm sure they would want to thank you for your love and care which allowed them to have happy and fulfilled lives. Rest in peace now little ones, and everything crossed for Lacey too xxx

:cry: I am so very sorry Liz and Steve.

Dave and Herman were so lucky to have found each other and you and Steve to make their lives very special and loved. Sleep tight little ones xxx

Back