• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I re - introduce my two female rabbits after spaying !?

We re homed two female rabbits ,one a Netherland dwarf & the other a lionhead both now 8 months ,I only had them a few days when it was apparent they were not getting along ,the lionhead sugar had a sore on her back where spice had been nibbling her .decided to have them spayed which was about 7 weeks ago .i am keeping them separately side by side so they can still see & smell each other and I let them out separately so they can sniff one another .i am petrified of letting them out together in case they fight .would anyone have any advice they could give me please ? Thank you

When you re-introduce them it needs to be done in a small space that is 100% neutral to both of them-ie somewhere neither have ever been before.

As Spice sounds to have previously been the dominant Rabbit then it is likely that she will want to remain so. This may mean she still tries to mount Sugar in the initial stages. This is something Rabbits do to show dominance. So dont immediately jump in and separate them if this happens, it is normal.

We re homed two female rabbits ,one a Netherland dwarf & the other a lionhead both now 8 months ,I only had them a few days when it was apparent they were not getting along ,the lionhead sugar had a sore on her back where spice had been nibbling her .decided to have them spayed which was about 7 weeks ago .i am keeping them separately side by side so they can still see & smell each other and I let them out separately so they can sniff one another .i am petrified of letting them out together in case they fight .would anyone have any advice they could give me please ? Thank you

I bonded my two females back in October - I found some information on the following website really useful - www.manchesterandsalfordrspca.org.uk. Good luck. My rabbits are both females and I managed to bond them successfully - I think the secret of my success was leaving them in separate hutches but right next to each other for about 5 months, I was thorough with the neutralising of the small run I used and I bonded indoors where neither of them had been before. This also meant I could sleep in the room with them for the first couple of nights. Kept them indoors together for about 6 days I think it was before they went into their new home - a new playhouse outdoors which was neutral to both. Good luck.

Back