• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rex keeps having sneezing fits U/D P2

Toffee pops

Alpha Buck
my house bun toffee has the snuffles and a bad chest,hes been to our local vets and he said he couldnt give anymore antibiotics as hes had 2 courses this year and he may become imune to them, but poor toffee has been chocking and is having these coughing,sneezing fits,well im not actually sure what they are but it is stressing him out,ive started giving him .4ml cat metacam twice a day as he appears to be in pain,but im not sure what else i can do for him, its not nice watching him struggling,
I think ill get a second opinion from another vet when they open later this week,ive taken a video if anyone has any idea of whats going on :(

[video][/video]

Last edited:
I would definitely get him to another Vet ASAP

There are different antibiotics which can be used, along with various other medication to try to help him to feel more comfortable.

Yes Jane about an hour ago,hes been like that for a week,i took him to the vets last monday and explained what was going on and the vet said no more antibiotics,he could see toffee was chesty but said unless he had nose discharge there wasnt anything they could do which i thought was a bit odd, i did think they were rabbit savi but im not sure now,either way im not happy,hes not got any discharge,still eating,poohing and is ok in himself,im not letting him out at the moment i think it might be to cold for him,which hes not happy about.
He sleeps indoors on the carpet with bella,could the carpet be making him sneeze?
What is he actually doing Jane sneezing,coughing?

He is sneezing

He may also have problems with his lungs, which is potentially very serious.

I note he sits near a radiator, is it on ? If so this may actually exacerbate his problems as it will dry out the atmosphere. If it is on I'd put a humidifier on it.

He is sneezing

He may also have problems with his lungs, which is potentially very serious.

I note he sits near a radiator, is it on ? If so this may actually exacerbate his problems as it will dry out the atmosphere. If it is on I'd put a humidifier on it.

Yes the radiator is on,i will turn it of in that room thx Jane.

I would definitely echo what everyone's saying about going to the vets asap. If you can get him into a steamy environment too that may help to ease things temporarily - that's what my vet recommended to me.

I would definitely echo what everyone's saying about going to the vets asap. If you can get him into a steamy environment too that may help to ease things temporarily - that's what my vet recommended to me.
Yes i agree he needs to be seen by a rabbit savvy vet asap,ill get it sorted.
Thankyou Jane and honey monster for pointing out how serious this is :thumb:
Ill take the video off you tube tommorow,its not something i want rabbit lovers seeing,but it was the only way i could think of linking it to ru.

I took my brave boy Toffee to a new vets today as i kinda lost confidence in my old vets,and i was pretty impressed with her attitude towards his illness, she thinks he has pasteurella which is not good,but atleast she had a plan of action where as my old vet didnt.
So for now hes got baytril twice a day for 2 weeks,which hes not happy about lol,so fingers crossed my poorly boy will start responding in a couple of days.
Many thanks to Jane for her helping me find a rabbit savvy vet :) :).

Back