• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So... One of my friends...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
Loved the Christmas pictures I took of my girls so much, that she went and got herself a bunny. I've already corrected some things the pet store told her wrong about (ie, being able to sub fresh veggies for hay.) Would you all help me give her the best advice possible? I wanna make up a care sheet for her, but not sure where to start. (I left the one I got with the girls at my boyfriend's house so I can't just copy that one and give it to her.) Thanks everyone!

The bun she got is a 6 week old female. I haven't seen a picture yet. She said they told her the bun would get around 8 to 10 lbs when fully grown. It's probably a cross breed. Thanks everyone!

This is Noel. She's going to be in good hands! Carrie worked at the petting zoo at the state zoo and she knows how to handle animals very well.

1224121640X993YZ5XI58845A.jpg

Carriesbun.jpg

Awww she's sweet. :love:

Lots of hay, with unlimited good quality pellets. As she is very young, she'll need unlimited pellets for a few months. I would keep away from veggies until she's older.

How big is her accommodation? Standard guidelines are 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with 8ft x 4ft run.

Is your friend thinking about getting a bunny friend for Noel? Unless she lives indoors, she'll need a friend once she's spayed.

:)

Awww, she's lovely. :love:

The RWAF is usually a good place to start for care advice; they have lots of leaflets that you could either print off or pass her the links to. :D

A couple of good ones to start with would be:
Healthy eating
Feeding young rabbits

but there are lots more here.

Does she know if Noel has been getting veg in the past? If she hasn't I wouldn't introduce any until shes about 12 weeks old :)

Basics are plenty of hay, pellet feed rather than museli, limited veg and only bunny safe stuff. Plenty of space to have a really good run around. Litter training can be done but is more difficult with a unneutered bun :) and a friend or 2 if possible

6 weeks is very young ideally babies shouldn't leave their mother until 8 weeks :( but thencnow she has her perhaps do up facts like 85% of diet should be hay pellets are better than muesli and is it going to be living as an indoor or outdoor rabbit as that will determine the accomodation needs :) make sure she gets bunny neutered and vaccinated once old enough and that gets a friend also neutered likely from a rescue so if they don't bond other bunnies can be tried xx

Accomedations right now aren't ideal, but she's working on getting something better. I've told her how big Noel's enclosure needs to be. I told her to hold off on veggies for now. Told her some safe toys. She'll be a solo bun for now, but she'll get lots of love from Carrie. She might be joining this site, I told her about it. Not sure yet though. She's going to be getting some hay as soon as the pet stores open again after Christmas. She's already in love with the bun. Says she's very very friendly and cuddly, though she's not very big. I think the bun will have a great life with her!

Do warn Carrie about the 'bunny flop,' a few days after Kizzy came to live with me I walked into the living room to find her completely flopped out on her side. I dropped to my knees with tears in my eyes convinced she was dead. Yes, I know it sounds silly now, but she really did look dead :shock: now I realise it's just her ultimate chill out position, but I wish someone had warned me in advance.

Along with all the other excellent links above I'd recommend this one on rabbit body language, it gave me a much better understanding of Kizzy AKA She who must be obeyed:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Do warn Carrie about the 'bunny flop,' a few days after Kizzy came to live with me I walked into the living room to find her completely flopped out on her side. I dropped to my knees with tears in my eyes convinced she was dead. Yes, I know it sounds silly now, but she really did look dead :shock: now I realise it's just her ultimate chill out position, but I wish someone had warned me in advance.

Along with all the other excellent links above I'd recommend this one on rabbit body language, it gave me a much better understanding of Kizzy AKA She who must be obeyed:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I forgot about that! Thanks! I'll tell her! I'm sure I'd get a frantic text about that if it happens before I get her told!

Also let her know about the bunny 500 and binkies.
When angel binkied for the first time I thought she had a seizure or something! :lol:
Is noel indoors or outdoors?

Also let her know about the bunny 500 and binkies.
When angel binkied for the first time I thought she had a seizure or something! :lol:
Is noel indoors or outdoors?

Indoor. Will tell her about that. When the girls first did the bunny 500 it was like 6 am and it woke me up. I thought something was getting them! They did it again this morning. They didn't wanna let me sleep in on Christmas!

Back