• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-travel tips please?

Jessie21

Warren Scout
Drove back from Italy yesterday took 18hrs, bunnies were fine when arrived home but today one is very down and flopping around and won't drink. Already tried syringing water into his mouth and he just doesn't swallow it! He has had a tiny peice of banana, lettuce and about half a teaspoon of baby food (last resort). Poops are small, hard and dark. Bit worried about him; any tips please? And does anyone think he doesn't like the different tasting water.. thank you!

Can you get any fresh grass? That always used to be what my rabbits wanted after travelling.

I would first try a lot of different tasty foods, fresh parsley, porridge oats soaked in water and any other favourite treats. If he hasn't eaten after about six hours I think you should go to the vets. It sounds like gut slow down/stasis from the stress of travelling and he might need something to get it moving again.

I wouldn't syringe feed just yet if he is eating a little as it's more stress (but other people might disagree with me). I would leave him in a calm and quiet place, count all the food you put down or watch from a distance so you can tell if he's eaten. Good luck.

Can you get any fresh grass? That always used to be what my rabbits wanted after travelling.

I would first try a lot of different tasty foods, fresh parsley, porridge oats soaked in water and any other favourite treats. If he hasn't eaten after about six hours I think you should go to the vets. It sounds like gut slow down/stasis from the stress of travelling and he might need something to get it moving again.

I wouldn't syringe feed just yet if he is eating a little as it's more stress (but other people might disagree with me). I would leave him in a calm and quiet place, count all the food you put down or watch from a distance so you can tell if he's eaten. Good luck.

Thankyou for the advice.. he's ate some lettuce and hay on his own now, i am unsure whether he's going to the toilet ok though as he's with his sister can't tell who's poops are whoose! Could it still be stasis if he is eating?

Yes it can be the start of it. The gut can slow down before completely stopping. They hay eating sounds good. :thumb:
What lettuce is it he's having? Just to let you know iceberg lettuce is not very good for them.

just a normal dark leaved lettuce - i never give them iceburg so can't be that that's th problem i think it's just the stress like you said before at least he is nibblin though xx

Are you doing the return journey?

Sometimes vets will give you the gut stimulant so you can give some before you travel and after you get there so it might be worth speaking to them even if he does perk up. I hope he keeps on eating. :wave:

Back