• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Roxy - U/D urine infection

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
I am taking her to the vet at 1315. She refused her pellets yesterday but was still eating herbs and hay. This morning she has a runny bum and refusing pelles, she did eat some hay but just tried to give her herbs and she refused - this is soooo unlike her. So worried. :cry:

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes. I had a similar problem with my two last week. They went to the vets and are still not eating pellets really but eating lots of veg and hay. X

Good luck little Roxy, hope it's something easily sorted. I know when Doughnut doesn't eat her pellets I know something is wrong.

Keep us posted.

I'm not long back, I was given the choice to admit her or look after her at home (I was such a woose I burst into tears) I've taken her home. They shut at 4pm but will have a vet there until 7pm after that its still manned (its a vet hospital) by vets now so she can go back at anytime. If I dont see an improvement/concerned/just want to ask they said to call. Glad to know I can just take her back tonight tomorrow if I need too.

They said her stomach is empty (she has barley eaten anything) so I have Supreme science recovery plus and Baytril. She was given the first dose of anti b's by injection at the vets I have to give her 0.4ml twice a day.

I've just tried syringe feeding 15mls, not really sure how much I got in as she wasn't keen and Steven had a bit on his t-shirt, she had on her face but has cleaned that off. Will give her another dose at 4pm. I swaddled her in a towel but she was still a bit wriggley and clamping her mouth shut, I was having to prise it open with one hand and have the syringe in the other, it wasn't easy and that's with two of us. Whats my other options?

how is she doing today? have you tried tempting with fresh herbs, dandelions, or mashing up usual pellets in water

Thanks for asking. We are still force feeding but she had a tiny nibble on hay and she took a small amount of herbs and a drink earlier, she's still hiding so still feeling sorry for herself but she looks a lot better. Hopefully she'll eat herself tomorrow or I'll be back to the vets on Thursday.

I went back to the vet with Roxy this morning as she is still not eating. She is refusing pellets, hay, all treats, fruit and herbs.

She is putting up resistance to the force feeding, which can only be a good sign - I hope?! They have gave her a gut simulate via injection and sent me home with more recovery food but they said "We would want to see an improvement within the next 24/48 hours. I've to go back on Saturday if no improvement.

What more can I do?

I went back to the vet with Roxy this morning as she is still not eating. She is refusing pellets, hay, all treats, fruit and herbs.

She is putting up resistance to the force feeding, which can only be a good sign - I hope?! They have gave her a gut simulate via injection and sent me home with more recovery food but they said "We would want to see an improvement within the next 24/48 hours. I've to go back on Saturday if no improvement.

What more can I do?

Has she also had pain relief ?

No definitely not, I asked what they injected her with and I was told only gut stimulation. They didn't give her painkiller they other day either only antibiotics.

I called and they said that the vet didn't give pain relief as it wasn't deemed necessary. I asked to speak to the vet or any vet but they were in consultations so I've to call back at 3pm and they'll give me an emergency appt if I'm not happy.

Away to see if I can get blackberry leaves at PAH. What other temptations I could try?

I would certainly ask for pain relief for Roxy she need's some Metacam like Jacks Jane said a rabbit won't eat if it's in pain.

If you are struggling getting the syringe feed down her try a little bit of baby food mixed in with it we use the 'Ella's Kitchen' baby foods as they are 100% organic, and
they just make the feed more appetizing for the bun, they do an apple and banana one which we are using at the moment.

Sending lots of Vibes for Roxy xxxxx

Back