• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heidi and Dash *NEW PIC P2* :)

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Heidi and Dash! TOGETHER!!!

Ok I know it's early days and I don't want to get too excited just yet but I think we are making progress! This was them in the run together yesterday...
D7A1F2D3-6341-4E54-993C-16BA47EACF46-9212-000009380E4C9E1C.jpg

It was a spur of the moment decision, I needed to clean Heidi's hutch and since it was fairly dry I thought its a shame only one can go in the run, so.... I tried putting them both in! Well as u can prob c there was quite a bit of fur pulling... A couple of 'pin down' scuffles but they soon stopped and it was mainly Dash chasing Heidi and pulling tufts of fur from her bum :roll: I think he was trying to mount her but she wasn't having any of it!! They spent a good couple of hours in the run while I set about neutralising the hutch.

This is when they first went in hutch together...

Heidi hiding!
30D7D5A2-252B-48EB-991D-C1A66F87E2D6-9212-000009382879A463.jpg

DCD3E870-1078-42D5-B5DC-1E0F31D8FB3E-9212-000009383D47ADA8.jpg

Dash: Oooooh water in a bowl!!!
F4550482-AD8F-4CED-BE41-E4E27973D9E2-9212-0000093834D4E03E.jpg

I was a bit worried as Heidi wasn't happy at all and has never eaten with Dash around so it was a worrying night :roll: There has only been a little bit of fur pulling, no fighting, however, Heidi bolts every time Dash so much as moves towards her! I'm not a bunny body language expert but I don't think he is in the least bit threatening, he is calm and slow and just showing an interest but she is not so keen on that interest at the mo!

So.... Onto this morning... Breakfast time... Heidi eats!!!! :D I'm so pleased and relieved, she has never eaten in such close proximity to Dash so to me this is a major break through! I hope this is a good sign for a successful long term bond... She must have been starving cos as soon as I approached with the cup of pellets she was begging for them and took some straight from the cup :lol: I think she had eaten hay overnight as it had gone down!

Here's a few pics of them having breakfast...

47B96B9D-06EC-4886-A9CC-D60196CF3D2D-9212-000009384F12AA83.jpg

C08A6617-8AAC-4A9E-998E-275CF4356250-9212-000009385D8EB17F.jpg

4DBCED6D-F6C0-4925-8056-D2F71AFF3517-9212-000009386CF3AC62.jpg

18193666-C7F1-44F8-89AC-691027888135-9212-000009387BFD4C54.jpg

Looking for a way to escape :lol:
5A1BE779-2DED-47AD-9393-A2ADFD89A8E8-9212-000009387312D49E.jpg

11059B46-FDC1-4BEA-B85B-8E54E657CF0F-9212-000009388396ABE8.jpg

83D604A9-1919-4978-9A26-CB323A22C698-9212-0000093888B26BC1.jpg

This shows the general body language from Heidi when Dash moves... He's not coming this way is he??
3E92F50C-253F-45A0-974A-CB56E1FAE5DF-9212-0000093890D262E2.jpg

Yes he is! Stay away I tell you!
C94FDA94-F639-43FB-B39A-9E7DAC14E3E3-9212-00000938965D0F91.jpg

This ones a bit blurry as she jumped down and bolted to the other side if the hutch! He doesnt even jump up he just goes to have a look!
95E89C14-2EEA-4459-9931-7F3BD1429813-9212-000009389BAEF2D7.jpg

They are still generally staying on opposite sides if the hutch, Heidi will be at one end where Dash isn't, he will be at the other or in the middle somewhere! He is so chilled out bless him he just wants to be friends. Hopefully we're on the right track, it would make my Christmas to see them happy together :love:

Last edited:
Oh yes and I finally lowered the platform, thought I best make some easy escapes for them, also took the wood away from the side so its more open so they can't corner each other...

It's looking really good, she is running away from him and this is normal. I am really pleased!

Thanks I was nervous to get replies in case people said there were bad signs! I am so pleased but I won't relax until Heidi does! I hope she accepts him soon, I really couldn't have found her a better partner, if only she could c that :lol: I was a bit worried as I read somewhere last night that one rabbit being too scared to move and eat was a bad sign but I suppose she is moving, she's running away! And now she has eaten too, that was my main concern and drinking, as she'll only drink from bowl but iv also put 2 water bottles in, 1 at each side so they should both be able to access. But now she's eaten some greens at least I know she's got some moisture from them. I'm sure she will be drinking, I'm prob just being silly worrying!

Aw Heidi is sat munching hay in the litter tray, she must be feeling a bit more relaxed and hopefully starting to accept the new arrangements :D Fingers crossed!!

Are you watching them all the time? Dominant behaviours and chasing can start mid way through a bond, ideally they need to be comfortable around each other and grooming before left alone

Are you watching them all the time? Dominant behaviours and chasing can start mid way through a bond, ideally they need to be comfortable around each other and grooming before left alone

I'm keeping a close eye on them. I know most people won't agree to putting them in the hutch together at this stage but it just wouldn't have been practical to bring them inside and personally I feel it's better not to keep moving them around and changing things. I've done lots of research, read about lots of different methods and have taken care to prepare the hutch. I am keeping a check on their behaviour but my interference has actually agitated Heidi more so I have been watching from a distance. I know it's still early days but so far all I have seen is progress so I am staying positive for a good outcome :) They have lived side by side for last few months, have been in runs side by side and had 'dates' although I stopped these after reading it could be a hindrance. So they r used to being around eachother, it's just taking Heidi a while to trust him I think. :wave:

Could you take the platform out? I only say this because Heidi looks to be claiming it which might make a bond take longer/turn on Dash. When Donny and Lola came home after 2 days I had them in the hutch and just covered the floor with hay, they had no litter trays, toys etc to get dominant over, 4 days later I put them in the bigger hutch:)

Could you take the platform out? I only say this because Heidi looks to be claiming it which might make a bond take longer/turn on Dash. When Donny and Lola came home after 2 days I had them in the hutch and just covered the floor with hay, they had no litter trays, toys etc to get dominant over, 4 days later I put them in the bigger hutch:)

Hmm might be an idea, I thought it best to leave it so she can escape from him. She will jump down tho and stay at other end if he decides he wants to go at that end, and there's no aggression. I left the litter tray in but covered the whole floor with hay aswell. They both seem to be using all parts of the hutch, just not at the same time!

I have bonded 5 pairs recently in a hutch and they are all happy. The female stayed in the bedroom for a day oe so until she plucked up courage to come out. This is all quite normal. And your idea of watching from a distance is perfect as too much interference can upset things. They will be much more comfortable with one another by tomorrow, I reckon, and then it will get better every day.

I have bonded 5 pairs recently in a hutch and they are all happy. The female stayed in the bedroom for a day oe so until she plucked up courage to come out. This is all quite normal. And your idea of watching from a distance is perfect as too much interference can upset things. They will be much more comfortable with one another by tomorrow, I reckon, and then it will get better every day.

Thanks for the encouragement I hope you're right :wave:

Just been out to feed them and although Heidi was on the platform, she came down for pellets and acknowledged Dash aswell, she had a little wobble when I moved and scared her and she grunted and tried to run but then just went back to the pellets. I am so pleased with this progress :D

0092983C-912B-4DD5-8E41-6043E9BF6697-9652-000009E3DFE579D5.jpg

Thank you both :wave: just checked up on them and Heidi was lay down in litter tray (in submissive pose) and Dash was sat right by her facing her! I watched with my heart in my mouth as he went to groom her but she flinched and ran off poor Dash :roll: He's going to get a complex at this rate :lol: But it is still progress sitting that close and eating together. The difference since just yesterday is massive!! Eek I'm so excited but trying to still hold myself back just in case but I'm staying positive :thumb:

Latest update: just went out to check as I couldn't see either of them (secretly hoping I'd find them snuggled together!) and Dash was just sat (just out off view) and Heidi was on the platform, but as I approached she jumped down to have a nosy (prob expecting treats!) they were right next to eachother and were nose to nose a couple of times but then Dash put his mouth to her nose and she flinched again and moved away, but not as quickly or as far away as normal, it was more if a 'ok don't push ur luck!' kind of response! They r obviously getting used to being around eachother now and Heidi seems so much more comfortable, more her usual self than the scared little thing she was yesterday :) I hope they're ok tomorrow as I won't be at home all day to keep a check on them... They will have been together 48hrs pretty much so I'm confident they'll be ok...
Merry Christmas everyone!! :wave:

Back