• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Omelette the duck!

chul

Staff member
20121223_144334.jpg

20121223_144317.jpg

20121223_144307.jpg

I love ducks and have always wanted one but I hear they are very mucky so I never got any. He is gorgeous :love:

I adore ducks. There's one at my local park who sits by me on the bench whilst I feed him... I have to say I've been tempted to slip him into my handbag:love:

He'd lovely :love:

We had ducks some years ago, we rescued them as babies. They had baby chickens needing rehoming also but my mum thought the ducks would be better because of the mess chickens make... :lol:
We had 13 :shock:
We had them until they became adults and started flying, at that point we rehomed them to a country park.

That's so funny about the mask thing - my brother saw the pics and said it looks like the duck is wearing a mask, then he paged down and saw the dog mask picture :lol:

Maybe it's because I've had ducks so many years or because I don't mind pets making mess (I just adapt to it), but I don't find ducks that messy. And I have 7 ducks - 6 of which are indoors most of the time. I also have loads of stray ducks that are regulars to my yard and lake and they don't make a mess, but I guess that's because they have the yard to roam so their poop gets distributed.

He'd lovely :love:

We had ducks some years ago, we rescued them as babies. They had baby chickens needing rehoming also but my mum thought the ducks would be better because of the mess chickens make... :lol:
We had 13 :shock:
We had them until they became adults and started flying, at that point we rehomed them to a country park.

Sorry but that is a horrible attitude to have towards any pet! :( they just got 'rehomed' to a park? A pet is for life, or should be rehomed to a responsible owner, not dumped at a park or pond. How would you feel if someone dumped a rabbit at a country park? This is something that we (duck owners) really loathe.

There are lots of 'dump ponds' here that people just dump their ducks at. They quickly get eaten by predators. And even if they didn't, what kind of life is that? They can't find all their own food. They're domestic, they rely on people, especially when raised by people, and people just feed them bread which has zero nutrition and leads to lameness. And up north they can freeze to death in a pond, like actually get stuck in the ice, while they're swimming around all night to avoid the predators on land. There are kind people out there that organize rescuing these poor ducks before they die but only a small portion ever get rescued :(

Not to mention the effect this has on the ecosystem. I know here in Florida there are a lot of feral/stray domestic muscovies and mallards. They out compete native ducks, the muscovies get put in gas chambers and the mallards breed with the Florida mottled duck (only occur in the peninsular of Florida) creating hybrids, which will lead toward the extinction of it.

Beautiful :love:

William, chill out. County parks aren't just local ponds or whatever it is that you are describing. The ducks were rehomed, not abandoned, it says so in the post!!!

Since when does rehomed mean a country park? If it were rabbits or dogs etc no one would think it's okay. It's not okay with ducks either.

Anyways, even if it's a great park where they're well cared for and have proper food and shelter, I still wouldn't say it's okay to buy a bunch of ducks and then dump them on someone else when they adults and not as adorable. That's called impulse buying. It's just as irresponsible as if someone bought a bunch of baby bunnies for Easter and then decided to regime them. RU members wouldn't be chilled out about that. people just don't realize it's a bad thing tto do so they need to be informed :)

Since when does rehomed mean a country park? If it were rabbits or dogs etc no one would think it's okay. It's not okay with ducks either.

Anyways, even if it's a great park where they're well cared for and have proper food and shelter, I still wouldn't say it's okay to buy a bunch of ducks and then dump them on someone else when they adults and not as adorable. That's called impulse buying. It's just as irresponsible as if someone bought a bunch of baby bunnies for Easter and then decided to regime them. RU members wouldn't be chilled out about that. people just don't realize it's a bad thing tto do so they need to be informed :)

They werent bought as cute ducklings though, they were rescued - and there were 13 of them. Who on earth can keep 13 ducks who can fly?! My ducks cant fly - and it is messy enough with 2 in my garden. A country park isnt dumping, its a good home :?

Have a google and look at what a country park actually is.

It's not the same situation as buying a load of baby bunnys and then rehoming them. They were rescued and rehomed when they could fly. Says that in the post too.

And that's the last I'll say, I refuse to argue with you and cause rachels thread to be closed

They werent bought as cute ducklings though, they were rescued - and there were 13 of them. Who on earth can keep 13 ducks who can fly?! My ducks cant fly - and it is messy enough with 2 in my garden. A country park isnt dumping, its a good home :?

Maybe a country park is different there :? The ducks in parks here are abandoned, no one takes care of them.

Why does flying make any difference with mess? And if they're free ranging a whole yard the poop just goes into the grass and fertilizes it. :? No picking up poop required then.

Back