• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honeybunny Mulberry - a myxi success story (Warning: some images may be upsetting)

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
I hesitated about posting this as I know there have been many heart-breaking myxi stories on RU :cry:, and I don't want to upset anyone by bringing back sad memories (I've lost several buns to myxi myself and know how painful that can be), but equally I know people will be happy to hear and see how Mulberry is getting on.

She first developed nodular myxi in September, and as a six and a half year old bun, things were never going to be easy. A couple of times one of my vets wanted to pts, but I wanted Mulberry to be given another chance, as she was eating so enthusiastically throughout, and while she hadn't given up, I didn't want to give up on her.

With the help of a huge variety of invaluable advice from a range of RU-ers, Mulberry has now gone from this...

Picture259-1.jpg

Picture270.jpg

to this.....

Picture294.jpg

Picture282.jpg

Picture290.jpg

Picture284.jpg

Picture281-1.jpg

Picture280.jpg

She's still a snuffle bun, her left eye looks smaller than her right because the nodules changed the shape of her eyelid, and she still needs to regain weight, but it was quite telling that photographing her this morning was tricky because she was leaping around so much.

I'm really grateful to RU, and to Jack's-Jane in particular, for such great advice, all of which has helped make her recovery possible.

Happy Christmas to all, from me and Mulberry! :wave:

Last edited:
Oh wow! Congratulations Mulberry you litlte fighter! Goes to show that sometimes vets don't know best :thumb:

Plus, why am I not surprise that Janes fantastic advice played a part in her recovery :love:

that is so wonderful to see :D :love:
she is a very special bunny and thank you Nicky for not giving up on her and taking such brilliant care of her
Have a great Christmas xx

thanks so much for sharing! is lovely to hear a sucess story and gives us all hope if the dreaded disease ever happens to any of our bunnies.

well done you and Mulberry, so happy for you both x

That is sooooo lovely, brought tears to my eyes, so pleased that she is now on the mend xxx

That's a lovely, heart-warming update. It may bring hope to those still struggling to get their rabbits through this awful disease.

Absolutely amazing, well done to both of you. It's so wonderful to see a bunny recover after seeing all the sad losses :(

Thank you all for your kind comments. There is a wealth of expertise and experience on RU, and Mulberry really benefited from that. Parsnipbun and her thread on Viola-Rose helped us a lot, and if Mulberry's experiences can help some-bun else down the line, that would be great (although hopefully the single vaccine will be more effective so that there are fewer cases of nodular myxy around).

What I think is significant about Mulberry is that cosmetically she looked awful - see first pics - but as you can also see from the spring green clenched firmly between her jaws, she still had a strong will to live, and that is what I let myself be guided by. In the end, the way a myxi bun looks is irrelevant - it's how they are in themselves that really counts - and Mulberry definitely wanted to stick around. :wave:

Last edited:
That is just the best news ever. Mulberry looks like such a very special bun, and I can well understand why you didn't want to give up, and thank goodness you didn't. Fantastic that there are people on here like Jacks Jane, to give such invaluable advice, and you have obviously worked so hard yourself, but definately all been worth it. I'm sure you will have a really brilliant christmas.

Thank you. :wave: She finally reached 2.4 kg yesterday (first time since her illness). Her target weight is 2.6-7kg but she was on 2.16 for weeks so we're making steady progress.

She is indeed a very special bun... :love:

Back