• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cut Rabbits Privates Trimming Fur

Romy

Young Bun
Can someone please help. Noticed my rabbit had dried poop which was matted in her fur around her bottom.

Trimmed a big bit of poop and after noticed a spot of blood at her privates. Husband is sick with worry & not sure what to do. She's acting normal eating her hay and playing.

Has anyone had experience with this? Feel so bad :(

Poppy needs help with cleaning poop off her bum too and once, when she was an outdoor bun, my mom stabbed her a little :oops: she was fine though, just wiped it and it stopped bleeding. I kept my eye on it but it was fine.

Yes it's at the top of her pink bits and is a tiny spot of blood but can't see any cut as she is so hairy and was kicking me. She is very difficult to handle but wanted to clean her bottom as the poop was stuck right in.

Currently flopping in her litter tray but worried she's hurt. Gave her a bit of metacam left over from her spay just in case.

Husband is going out to get something to make sure the area gets cleaned properly. He read some ingredient in certain contact lens solution can help?

Poppy needs help with cleaning poop off her bum too and once, when she was an outdoor bun, my mom stabbed her a little :oops: she was fine though, just wiped it and it stopped bleeding. I kept my eye on it but it was fine.

Thanks for the response. So worried we have hurt her and its the poor souls 1st birthday tomorrow!

I've done the same before.

I would bathe it with cooled salt water if I where you and check it's only a small cut and nothing more. I am no expert though.

I'd ring the vet and see if they can advise over the phone, or if they are open Monday. Mainly because she shouldn't have had poo stuck on her in the first place, so that needs sorting.

You really do need to have a good look at the wound, I advise one of you holds her wrapped in a towel whilst the other has a look.

Regarding the poop being stuck she is litter trained but has a bad habit of pooping in her cardboard box when she's lounging around. She then sits/stands in it and it gets stuck to her.

Always replace cardboard when it's dirty but she seems to have it covered in poop within a few hours and usually cleans herself but her coat has got thicker and think this has caused it to get matted

Regarding the poop being stuck she is litter trained but has a bad habit of pooping in her cardboard box when she's lounging around. She then sits/stands in it and it gets stuck to her.

Always replace cardboard when it's dirty but she seems to have it covered in poop within a few hours and usually cleans herself but her coat has got thicker and think this has caused it to get matted

Healthy poop won't stick to fur though, so there has to be an issue for it to get sticky.

Had a look again and it's a small nick at the top of her privates.

Have cleaned it & will call the vet in the morning

I have 2 healthy buns out of 15 healthy buns who have this problem - it is certainly not their diet but I have come to realise that it is purely because they have extremely fluffy bits around their back end and poops will get sat on and stick in and 'set' hard from time to time. I tried bottom baths and just made it worse so now I just gently snip away the poopy bits and try to keep their fluffy bum bits really short - it has worried me greatly in the past but they are absolutely fine apart from having fluffy butts!! :lol::lol::lol: I hope this helps x

I have 2 healthy buns out of 15 healthy buns who have this problem - it is certainly not their diet but I have come to realise that it is purely because they have extremely fluffy bits around their back end and poops will get sat on and stick in and 'set' hard from time to time. I tried bottom baths and just made it worse so now I just gently snip away the poopy bits and try to keep their fluffy bum bits really short - it has worried me greatly in the past but they are absolutely fine apart from having fluffy butts!! :lol::lol::lol: I hope this helps x

Thanks suzibunbun. It is rare for this to happen as she usually cleans herself but more concerned about snipping the top of her privates. She's currently getting a nose rub but hope the nick heals

Healthy buns can get cecal poos stuck on their fur from time to time if they are sleeping and too sleepy to eat them at the time. Also if they have had too many treats at the time they might not eat them and sometimes lay on them sticking them to the fur. This has happened to Julie but she usually ends up grooming them out herself. She absolutely hates to be cleaned down there and tends to go crazy grooming herself if I even try.
Hope that your bunny will be okay.

Healthy buns can get cecal poos stuck on their fur from time to time if they are sleeping and too sleepy to eat them at the time. Also if they have had too many treats at the time they might not eat them and sometimes lay on them sticking them to the fur. This has happened to Julie but she usually ends up grooming them out herself. She absolutely hates to be cleaned down there and tends to go crazy grooming herself if I even try.
Hope that your bunny will be okay.

Chica sounds like Julie as she hates being cleaned there, although she hates being handled at all regardless. Thanks I hope she will be ok too

Back