• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

insurance for rabbits over 4?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I see that Pets at Home are now refusing to insure rabbits over the age of 4, this wasn't the case earlier this year as we managed to get Honey and JayJay insured (not that it's been in any way worthwhile).

So is that now all options for insurance of rabbits over 4 gone or are there other companies that offer it? Petplan only offer insurance for rabbits over 5 as far as I'm aware.

Yes I think they had lots of people insuring older rabbits and lots of claims and so that spooked them into stopping new policies. As you say PetPlan, Exotic Direct, Pinnacle are all 5 years so it's really important that insurance is started before their 5th birthday.

Yes I think they had lots of people insuring older rabbits and lots of claims and so that spooked them into stopping new policies.

Seems strange that Pets at Home are OK to insure our 17 year old dog (OK the monthly premiums are £80 but still).

As you say PetPlan, Exotic Direct, Pinnacle are all 5 years so it's really important that insurance is started before their 5th birthday.

Which is fine if you get the rabbit before then but there are plenty out there in rescue that are older than 5 sadly. Guess this means now that if anyone adopts a rabbit older than this they cannot buy any kind of insurance.

Last edited:
I've always insured my buns with PetPlan and have always been really happy with them. As long as the rabbits are insured with them before they turn 5, they have continued to renew their insurance each year, and still pay out on any ongoing problems.

I see that Pets at Home are now refusing to insure rabbits over the age of 4, this wasn't the case earlier this year as we managed to get Honey and JayJay insured (not that it's been in any way worthwhile).

So is that now all options for insurance of rabbits over 4 gone or are there other companies that offer it? Petplan only offer insurance for rabbits over 5 as far as I'm aware.

PetPlan offer insurance on rabbits if it is taken out before the age of 5, but they will continue covering them once they reach that age (excess increases).

[/B]

PetPlan offer insurance on rabbits if it is taken out before the age of 5, but they will continue covering them once they reach that age (excess increases).

I didnt word that post right I meant that pet plan only offer insurance for rabbits under 5. Fantastic if you own a crystal ball but it looks now as though there are no options at all for anyone who adopts a rabbit over the age of 5.

I didnt word that post right I meant that pet plan only offer insurance for rabbits under 5. Fantastic if you own a crystal ball but it looks now as though there are no options at all for anyone who adopts a rabbit over the age of 5.

Sorry - should have realised what you meant!

It is a real :censored: and wonder whether this will hamper the adoption of older rabbits which is difficult enough already.

Sorry - should have realised what you meant!

It is a real :censored: and wonder whether this will hamper the adoption of older rabbits which is difficult enough already.

I can see how the inability to insure an older bun would put people off from adopting them.:( I could understand high monthly premiums which some would be unwilling to pay but at least give them the choice.

Last edited:
To be really honest, while its a pain in the bum, I think there are far bigger problems with numbers of younger buns in rescues than older ones, as the profile of animals given up for adoption is completely different for bunnies than it is for cats or dogs. I have twice looked to adopt older buns in the past couple of years and twice have ended up having to adopt far younger than I wanted to,simply because actually there aren't all that many (single) older buns in rescue.

Also pah insurance has only been round for a couple of years, before that you couldn't insure older buns with either petplan or exotics direct either, so I don't really see what the big deal is to be honest, as it only takes us back to the situation we had a couple of years back. Of course it would be wonderful if older buns could be insured too, but for once, I don't really think this is pah fault!

For me the number of older rabbits in rescue isn't really relevant to whether p@h offer insurance to older rabbits or not. There are currently 32 rabbits listed on rabbit rehome which a new owner couldn't insure for any price. petplan and exotics direct have had their stall set out from the start but with p@h being directly responsible for so many rabbits now in rescues it just seems a bit unfair of them to completely deny the insurance service to owners of older buns. I'm not sure how, for example, a 4 year old rabbit is more "high risk"than our 17 and 12 yo dogs which they accepted for a quote.:shock:

When we insured Honey and JayJay we were only charged £7 a month, I can't help but think they have mucked up their pricing as all other quotes I've seen for insurance are about twice as much as this regardless of the age of the rabbit.

Last edited:
Back