• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Un-spayed rabbit question

Janey

Warren Veteran
Would a female that is spayed act differently towards a female that isn't (in comparison to if un-spayed female was spayed).

If so how would you expect spayed bunny to behave differently?

Hope this makes sense. :oops:

There are various scenarios

1- Unspayed Doe may be very aggressive to spayed Doe

2-Unspayed Doe may keep trying to hump spayed Doe

3-If Spayed Doe tries to show dominance by humping unspayed Doe then unspayed Doe is very likely to have pseudopregnancies. This could include unspayed Doe pulling fur from spayed Doe to use in nest. Spayed Doe may take exception to this leading to fighting

4- Not totally impossible for both to get along fine, but unlikely.

3-If Spayed Doe tries to show dominance by humping unspayed Doe then unspayed Doe is very likely to have pseudopregnancies. This could include unspayed Doe pulling fur from spayed Doe to use in nest. Spayed Doe may take exception to this leading to fighting

Thank you for the info, they are not together just in the same room so no humping (I'm not sure if one is spayed or not but her old owner has gone from 'is spayed' to 'I can't remember') :roll:

The one I think is un-spayed is very friendly to every one, it's my old girl who doesn't like the new(ish) girly.

her old owner has gone from 'is spayed' to 'I can't remember') :roll:

To be perfectly honest, if an owner 'can't remember' if she's been spayed or not, I would lay money on the fact that she isn't. It's not uncommon for owners who are giving bunnies up to not commit to saying 'no she isn't' for certain, they seem to feel that saying yes or being vague about it is the right thing to say. People try and tell you what they think you want to hear rather than the truth.

If the plan is to introduce these two at some point, I would suggest booking both in and asking your vet to clip the underside of the 'possibly' spayed one first to look for a scar; they may also be able to use ultrasound to check. Even two spayed does in close proximity in their own territories will often show aggression towards each other, so I don't think you could use their behaviour as a guide.

Good luck xx

To be perfectly honest, if an owner 'can't remember' if she's been spayed or not, I would lay money on the fact that she isn't. It's not uncommon for owners who are giving bunnies up to not commit to saying 'no she isn't' for certain, they seem to feel that saying yes or being vague about it is the right thing to say. People try and tell you what they think you want to hear rather than the truth.

If the plan is to introduce these two at some point, I would suggest booking both in and asking your vet to clip the underside of the 'possibly' spayed one first to look for a scar; they may also be able to use ultrasound to check. Even two spayed does in close proximity in their own territories will often show aggression towards each other, so I don't think you could use their behaviour as a guide.

Good luck xx

Sorry, I just saw your response,thank you.

They have now said they don't think she was done as they can't remember :roll: My Mum and I just don't get how they can't remember. To be honest I think they genuinely can't, when I took her they said anything I needed to do they would pay for (they are very well off) so not really a reason to stretch the truth so who knows.

I already tried to bond them and it failed, but not due to Pixie (unspayed) but Poppy my spayed Doe. Pixie didnt hump during the attempted bonding, uses her tray 99% of the time and is a very friendly bunny, she is a bit grunty with food but doesn't go for you, she is very 'talkative' at times. The only thing that makes me think she isn't spayed is she nests.

I was just wondering really if Poppy's behaviour towards her may change if she isn't spayed and I get her done (thought maybe she may smell different or something) but I guess that's wishful thinking. The fact they're not together isn't a huge problem but it would be nice if Poppy would stop weeing right next to Pixie's area :lol:

It's funny really because Peter and Pixie love each other, she will groom him through the room divide and one day I found him in her half of the room snuggled up in her tray being groomed to within an inch of his life :love:

Poppy is an old battle-axe :lol: she's like her Mummy and hates change :oops:

Hahahahahaah I like a lot the 3rd scenario...all sounds so funny!

Wouldn't be funny at all if it happened.

oh come on you can't say that getting a phantom pregnancy from a spayed rabbit isn't at least a little bizarre. It sounds as if two impossibles make a possible option :D

And we have a forum to discuss and prevent things like that. so please don't get it so serious I would never put such a couple together just to observe the effect and laugh at it...

oh come on you can't say that getting a phantom pregnancy from a spayed rabbit isn't at least a little bizarre. It sounds as if two impossibles make a possible option :D

And we have a forum to discuss and prevent things like that. so please don't get it so serious I would never put such a couple together just to observe the effect and laugh at it...

Sorry, I didnt realise that sounded as moody as it did-oops. Think im just a tad stressed with it all and need to lighten up!!

And I agree.....I was just explaining it to my Dad at dinner and we were having a giggle over how un-impressed Poppy would be if Pixie started pulling her fur out to make a nest-ha ha. I cant see it going down too well.

I had a foster doe here last week ( suspect unspayed) and my spayed female ( who has never shown any aggression and was oblivious to V when bonding ) ran at her and attacked the mesh!

I had a foster doe here last week ( suspect unspayed) and my spayed female ( who has never shown any aggression and was oblivious to V when bonding ) ran at her and attacked the mesh!

Oooh, that's interesting. Perhaps it is affecting Poppy's behaviour then. When I tried bonding them despite Poppy clearly having doninance over the other two she still wasnt happy with sonething so perhaps having Pixie spayed (if she isnt already) *could* make a difference.

Oooh, that's interesting. Perhaps it is affecting Poppy's behaviour then. When I tried bonding them despite Poppy clearly having doninance over the other two she still wasnt happy with sonething so perhaps having Pixie spayed (if she isnt already) *could* make a difference.

I wouldn't usually let them meet but the person who took the foster asked me what her reaction to other buns was.
Like I said my meg flew at her instantly. Foster bun showed no interest whatsoever. Coincidence or not but the person who took her said her male has attacked her also.
I think she isn't neutered and this is the problem.
I think not being neutered confuses neutered buns.

Back