• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you suggest- rabbit stress/bonding/housing

Starlight

Warren Veteran
I recently saw one of a pair I bonded for someone on Rabbit Rehome, after asking what happened, I got this reply:

Hi Kristine!

Thanks for asking. You might be able to give me some advice actually.

She has been getting increasingly destructive and frustrated and seems to be losing more hair than usual, my vet think due to stress. The only conclusion I can come to is that she is not happy indoors as she is constantly trying to dig her way out of the pen they live in and rattling the fence. I've tried distracting her with various different boredom breakers but she pays no attention to them. She has now escaped a few times and it's getting increasingly harder for me to keep her under control and she is not very fond of humans as it is.

I'm reluctant to break her and Woody up as they do get on really well (thanks to you!) and this hasn't changed, but he is perfectly happy in his environment whilst she isn't. I cannot keep them outside here as we have a lot of foxes in the area and Woody is susceptible to pneumonia so I don't want him getting too cold in the winter.

So. I thought maybe if I could find her a really good home that is either outdoors or in a large indoor space with an equally active mate she might be happier? And obviously I would have to find Woody a more docile female as well.

What do you think, is this the right solution?

They were an easy bond, love at first sight, so reluctant for them to be split, but what could I advise her to try to help bunny in attempt that she feels she doesn't need to rehome and break the bond? Feel a little at a loss :(

I was wondering whether it is lack of space - do they have a decent sized dog crate with a run attached?

I'd suggest she rabbit proofs a room, gives them a base but never shuts them inside. She sounds really frustrated rather than anything else :(

Back