• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should she stay or should she go?

Fatfish

Young Bun
I'm headed to my mothers for Christmas day and I've booked a pet sitter to look after the menagerie. However, poor olive is in the house alone and I'm fretting about her being all alone all of christmas eve evening, chritmas day and boxing day. I'm thinking of taking her with me but it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. So, what do you think is best? A lonely few days or a stressful road trip?

Does she travel well? Has she done the trip and been to the house before? Will there be lots of people, noise, and does she take well to strangers? Can she be totally secure at your mothers?

If you trust the petsitter, Olive might be better off at home. Olive will have no concept of time so providing the food and water is there, 2 days / nights may pass quite stresslessly for her.

However, at this time of year, you need contingency plans in case (for eg) it snows and you're away for an extra few days. Will the petsitter still be available to do his or her thing? Will Olive be okay if you're away for 4 days (again, for eg) instead of 2?

Make sure you have a lovely and stress-free Christmas break. :thumb:

I don't know about her traveling abilities, she's not been with me long. She's exceptionally friendly and has done very well with strangers when we've had parties in the past. I trust my pet sitter, she doesn't leave far so should I get stranded she can continue to come to see to the critters till I get back.

I just worry about poor olive alone in a silent house with no one to pet her nose and let her out for a hop. She's exceptionally friendly and lively and when she doesn't get out as much as normal she looks all depressed! I think leaving her her would probably be more sensible but I will frett till I'm back with them all!

Thanks for your opinion, I suspect you are right!

My Bun sulks soo bad when he is left on his own, I will be heading to my mums Christmas day but shes not animal friendly so I will leave him at home (luckily its only 20mins drive so I can still look after him). On boxing day however Im going to my boyfriends parents which is a 3 hour drive, Bun will come - he usually travels well and generally settles fine at boyfs parents where he is allowed to free range...

I'd be tempted to leave her. If the change of place put her into stasis you'd be really stuck to find a bunny-savvy vet on Christmas day. I'd suspect the journey + change of surroundings would be more likely to trigger that than continuity, unless she's majorly human-oriented.... It's a hard one to call though. You'd have to feel 100% sure her surroundings are safe at home. Now I'm starting to think you should take her. Sorry, I'm not much help.... :?

*........slinks out of thread looking embarrassed...* :oops:

Back