• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did I do the right thing?

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
Had someone ( not sure if male or female as the name was unisex) enquire about the bun I have added to RR.

Their email said:

Hi,

I'm interested in adopting your rabbit. I have a 3 yr old male lop eared and would like to get him a girlfriend.
Can you let me know when would be a good time to have a look at your rabbit. I am availble anyday upto christmas eve.

I am major busy, working all over christmas including eve, day and boxing day and only have Saturday off and I don't think Christmas is a good time to get a new animal anyway so I thought well they can wait a week no until next weekend. Apparently not.
Also this email concerned me as my first instinct was he/she wants to breed them. I know theres no proof of it but they didn't mention anything else and of course with the rabbit being a stray my vets cannot gaurantee she's been neutered.
Anyway I sent this back:

Hi ***

Would you be able to wait until after Christmas? I'm crazy busy at the mo. I
work in a Cattery and I am working Christmas Eve, day , and Boxing Day with no
break!
I could do next weekend if that's ok with you ? Either the Saturday or the
Sunday?
Where abouts are you?
Would you be able to send me pics of your set up?
Is your bun neutered and would you need help with the bonding ? I would be happy to help.

Sorry for all the questions , but as I'm sure you understand I have to be
thorough x :)

Thanks for enquiring,

Many thanks

Leanne.

Reply:

I'm unavailable the wknd after next and I'm going to a rescue centre on Saturday so may well have chosen a rabbit by then.

I will keep you informed.

:?

I know I'm not a rescue but I really feel if I am going to help rehome rabbits then I need to do it properly and not just ' hand them over' to whoever. On the otherhand I feel bad I may have just lost Willow a home.
Why could they not give me more info and wait a week for pitssake :(

No, totally think you did the right thing, don't beat yourself up.

When I was looking for a home for star (my cat, her and my other cat indy didn't get on, tried so hard, it just didn't work out :() I had no end of people contacting me about her, yet not a single one worked out - as soon as I mentioned a homecheck, no-one ever replied back again. In the end, very sadly, I had to make the decision to sign her over to the rspca (for lots of reasons but mainly she escaped, wouldn't come home and went to live in a neighbours bin. I thought the neighbour had taken her in, but for 3 months she was outside living in a bin despite all my efforts to get her home)

You do have to be thorough, even if she doesn't get a home with this person, I have no doubt you will find her the perfect one :) this person doesn't seem too interested really, just seems to be after getting a bunny quickly

you did the right thing, if they really wanted to rescue her they would have waited its not a rush thing any way! things need to be done and looked into before you hand over a bun to a new owner whatever made them think they would have her at hers for sure by xmas anyway?

If you can't fit it in then you can't fit it in :) They may have already had the rescue trip booked and just enquired about her on the off chance after seeing the pic or perhaps he lost a companion and they want to match up quick because he's lonely. I'm sure the right home will come along eventually :)

The rescue will need to do a homecheck anyway but they may well have booked the rescue visit anyway as previously said. Either way you did the right thing as I am a firm believer in if it`s meant to be it will all go smoothly. :thumb:

Thanks guys.

It's just she's been on the site for about 3 weeks so theres the temptation to get too excited and just hand her over but I want to check people as much as I can. I'm not going to home check just go with the vibe of the person/ their replies on if I think they are suitable but I felt they were really short and didn't offer me any info. If they contact me again I'll ask to speak to them on the phone and see where we go from there :thumb:

I think less people will be looking around now as everyone busy with Christmas and might have holidays booked or just overnight stays with family so you might find you get more enquiries post-Christmas :)

Someone saw her on my Facebook and has rehomed her :D It is someone off here, who I trust yeahhyyy. Hope the bond goes well.

Thanks guys.

It's just she's been on the site for about 3 weeks so theres the temptation to get too excited and just hand her over but I want to check people as much as I can. I'm not going to home check just go with the vibe of the person/ their replies on if I think they are suitable but I felt they were really short and didn't offer me any info. If they contact me again I'll ask to speak to them on the phone and see where we go from there :thumb:

it sounds a bit as if the guy was wanting her for a Christmas present

Back