• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get a bunny in her carry case?

Rosie-Lil

Alpha Buck
Hello, this Friday I'm taking Rosie-Lil for her checkup before I have her spayed. The only thing I'm really concerned about is how I'll get her there. She HATES being picked up and scratched me the last time I had to do so, she's such a friendly bunny and loves cuddles but as most rabbits she's completely stubborn and everything is on Rosie's terms! I used to get her in so I could clean the pigs by putting veggies at the back covered in hay and shutting the door quickly, she goes mad for a while but soon settles however now I think she's learnt to associate it with being locked in and won't go in there. I'm really wondering how to do this and would appreciate suggestions, if I have to pick her up I will but I'd prefer to avoid it until necessary as I don't like scaring her.

Sometimes there is no way around it. Fellie has a bunny that is exactly the same. Hates being picked up.
I had buns like that before but sometimes it just to be done, scratches and all. Just think you're not doing it to tease her.

Could you maybe put some treats in there and wait for her to hop in at all?

If not I would have to agree with what dutchbunny says

:wave:

Yes - Boris is a bit of a nightmare about being picked up and handled...

When we take him to the vet we bring out his carrier a couple of days before and we let him get used going in and out of it on his own terms so he thinks of it as a new toy or something interesting. Then on the day we coax him with food and anything else we can think of to get him in. Sometimes he realises something is up and other times he's goes in without an issue.

I think the key is to let her have free access to the carrier case so she doesn't associate it with anything bad at this stage.

And give yourself loads of time to get her in - once she's in, she will settle down but you don't want to be getting stressed because you're running late -she will pick up on that.

Good luck:thumb:

Rosie hates being touched and usually associates the carrier with car rides (pure terror for her I think)

It usually comes down to putting loads of veggies and treats in it and trying to herd her into the carrier lol

Looks like shameless trickery it will be then! She uses her carry case for hay all the time so I'm pretty sure she's used to it now. I'll just have to start trying to get her hours before.
Thank you guys :)

If necessary you could throw a towel over her and scoop her up, keeps you protected from scratches to some extent but also keeps her more calm as she can't see.

If necessary you could throw a towel over her and scoop her up, keeps you protected from scratches to some extent but also keeps her more calm as she can't see.

I've done this with fighting piggies before. I hope it doesn't come to that but it's a good idea, thank you.

Back